Gorgeous little milipedes ID please

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Found these beauties in an avocado grove in southern California. They really surprised me never thought I'd find something that looked so (for lack of a better word) "tropical" around these parts. colors varied, different shades of orange, yellow and red.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Nick

Last edited:

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I'm not a millipede person, but those look cool. How big are they? Do you think they will keep that appearance as they mature, or become a standard looking milli?

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All the individuals we found were around an inch in length or smaller. I believe these are adults, but of course I've no credentials so your guess is as good as mine! :eek:

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Nevertheless they are cool looking, keep us posted with their development, I like the really interesting looking creatures.

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nevertheless they are cool looking, keep us posted with their development, I like the really interesting looking creatures.
Actually, I left them all where I found them, I was only looking to collect a couple Megahexura fulva. But perhaps next sring I'll go back and see if I can't find some more to shoot.

Brachycybe sp.
Thanks for that!