gooty saphire ornamental review..

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do have an avic. right now I have a white knee, rose hair, gbb, pinktoe, red knee, and a fireleg. also I never once said I intended on handling it like I do my others. this T will be meant strictly for display purposes, and also for me to watch myself (if its not hiding that is)

---------- Post added 10-30-2014 at 12:35 AM ----------

I did not say you should do any handling, just that you have to know that accidents can happen, even with your best preparations, also happens for people with lots of experience as you can read here in this thread. Not anything to do with handling whatsoever!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I did not say you should do any handling, just that you have to know that accidents can happen, even with your best preparations, also happens for people with lots of experience as you can read here in this thread. Not anything to do with handling whatsoever!
well when it comes down to it, if it bites me, it bites me. im not looking forward to it if it just so happens to tag me. but there is nothing I can do other than pay attention to what im doing. and if that doesn't even work oh well, guess ill just have to try to deal with the pain and probably be a bed body for a little bit. honestly though, I will be giving it a very little chance of being able to do so once it is re-housed.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well when it comes down to it, if it bites me, it bites me. im not looking forward to it if it just so happens to tag me. but there is nothing I can do other than pay attention to what im doing. and if that doesn't even work oh well, guess ill just have to try to deal with the pain and probably be a bed body for a little bit. honestly though, I will be giving it a very little chance of being able to do so once it is re-housed.
Dont worry too much, they are not that crazy. it is just best to know what you are dealing with. Having experience helps a alot, that is why we reccomend people to have some of that before getting an poec or another of the more "exciting" T´s. Here in Europe there are now bans on keeping poecilotheria in some countries, so we all would like to see no more accidents involving this species!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dont worry too much, they are not that crazy. it is just best to know what you are dealing with. Having experience helps a alot, that is why we reccomend people to have some of that before getting an poec or another of the more "exciting" T´s. Here in Europe there are now bans on keeping poecilotheria in some countries, so we all would like to see no more accidents involving this species!
Yeah, I'm lucky I live across "the border" of one of the major cities here - because if I wouldn't, I would need a permit (unlikely to get one) to keep them legally. Just one more reason to being responsible while dealing with them. As a sidenote: Color isn't everything!

tweakz

Arachnosquire
From what I've heard, metallica is probably one of the best first OW arboreals if you can afford it. That being said it's hard to put "first OW" and "arboreal" in the same sentence.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
From what I've heard, metallica is probably one of the best first OW arboreals if you can afford it.
No, it isn't. No Poec is. No arboreal is a good first OW. Much better choices are some of the terrestrial baboon spiders, like Ceratogyrus, Augacephalus, and Pterinochilus (except murinus). They're a little feisty at times, but don't have the speed of an arboreal.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
"First OW arboreal" not first OW. I'm perfectly aware you don't want to start with an OW arboreal but he's gonna do it so all I'm saying is metallica is probably the best one. I even said that it's hard to put "first OW" and "arboreal" in the same sentence. I'm always right behind you telling these people they're not ready for OWs poec but I can tell the kids gonna do it so I might as well try to give him advice on the matter.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"First OW arboreal" not first OW. I'm perfectly aware you don't want to start with an OW arboreal but he's gonna do it so all I'm saying is metallica is probably the best one. I even said that it's hard to put "first OW" and "arboreal" in the same sentence. I'm always right behind you telling these people they're not ready for OWs poec but I can tell the kids gonna do it so I might as well try to give him advice on the matter.
I'm not sure where this comes from and I'm assuming the reason are sellers, but over here P. subfusca "lowland" is regarded as the calmest. P. metallica is usually very skittish, quite photo-sensitive and while not overly defensive, I've seen these freak out on the slightest disturbance racing around in their enclosure or frantically teleporting into hiding just to reappear again, run around, then vanish again. Rinse, repeat. A year ago when I got my first Poecie i went with the subfusca and either I got lucky, or most of them are really layed back in comparison to the other species of the genus. Mine was a extremely easy to deal with, rehouse, even pack for shipping out. Those I've seen over here are the same way, so far not found one that was freaking out at all. However, temperaments can vary, but it is my believe that the majority of these makes them a better choice than a highly expensive P. metallica as first Poecie. Also agreeing to what Poec said above - not the best choice as first OW...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
P. metallica is usually very skittish, quite photo-sensitive and while not overly defensive, I've seen these freak out on the slightest disturbance racing around in their enclosure or frantically teleporting into hiding just to reappear again, run around, then vanish again.
+1. Metallica is ore wired than some of the other species. Most regalis and ornata tend to be pretty calm.

There's more to selecting a spider than pretty colors. You need to match your skill and experience to what's needed for a spider. There's beautiful species for every level of keeper.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Poec..... I'd assume with a username as such that you've kept a number of poecs. And you've clearly stated you've been keeping tarantulas for as long as anybody and you have how many? 600? And 60-70% OW?

So how many poecs have gone through your care? I'd like to think you probably really have the best notes on this unless we have some breeders who deal in nothing but poecs.

I just ask because I too have read all over these boards that supposedly P. metallica is the "calmest" pokie. As if the best starter poec is out of price range for anybody looking to get into them without wasting $100~$200 on a spider.

Myself I just want a bright blue-violet tarantula!

But as far as getting into poecs went. Well my favorite vendor had 1"+ regalis slings for like $15.

So I went with them, and got a pair maybe a month ago. Because I was more intrigued just by the genus as opposed to needing the shineist one. But I started hearing "oh watch out. Regalis and ornata are the two most high strung and cranky of the pokies." "Metallicas and vitattas are much calmer".

Now the deeper I dug into this the more I just gathered that poecs all just behave..... Like poecs.... And each individual is prone to act however it wants to. Just like any other T.

Like the guy with a calm OBT, or the angry B. albopilosum.

So is there really a huge behavior difference in poec species? I know they have a decent geographical range. Does that change behavior much? I'm still learning a lot about them.

My 2 regalis have changed their behavior with thier molt cycle. They are very brave and usually on display until you disturb the enclosure. Then they run laps or,scutter around a bit. Keep disturbing and they retreat.
They are slightly photosensitive. Light may or may not bother them.
If they are on the cork bark... They are more apt to stay put through a disturbance. I'm assuming this is them trying to stay still and blend in.

In pre molt they become very skittish and hide a lot. Not out on display.

But I don't know if I can call either of them "calm". They might calm down. But they're jumpy.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Or get a Psalmopeous. They behave much like pokies, with venom that's not nearly as dramatic and lack urticating hairs.
Id prob take pokie venom over hairs any day, Just fangs gotta hurt bad ! IM allergic to urticating hairs since I kept Nhandu genus for 7 years. hairs shouldn't be underestimated effects last a long time.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Id prob take pokie venom over hairs any day, Just fangs gotta hurt bad ! IM allergic to urticating hairs since I kept Nhandu genus for 7 years. hairs shouldn't be underestimated effects last a long time.
Homie, Psalmopeous does not have urticating hairs....like I said, very pokie like.;)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Homie, Psalmopeous does not have urticating hairs....like I said, very pokie like.;)
Neither do taps so get a psalmo for the temper and a tap for the speed, though my juvie is pretty laid back for a tap and really only freaks out when I water the cage (she likes to kill the water drops). As for the whole debate I have 3 different pokies (regalis,metallica and vitatta) and each one has its own personality. The vitatta male is very laid back and is out on display all the time (also grows like a weed), the regalis I rarely see and she has attempted to teleport out of the cage via the "cyclone method" (top opened lids for these guys is a must) and the metallica is a little hell beast, it races around the container readily and gives threat poses like it's out of style. I've heard that metallica is supposed to be the calmest but of course mine bucks the trend, as all specimens have their own personality. I personally suggest taps and psalmos before thinking of a pokie as you don't understand speed until you've cared for these or in my case many true spiders. I still am very cautious with my pokies as I'd rather not get bit and I'm sure they would oblige me if they got the chance. For the sake of you and the spider, please get some ladder species first or even get some of the "starter OW" like C.darlingi, marshalli etc.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Blue/10

Hardy too, you could fling one across the room and it'd still be ok :p

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poec..... I'd assume with a username as such that you've kept a number of poecs. And you've clearly stated you've been keeping tarantulas for as long as anybody and you have how many? 600? And 60-70% OW?

So how many poecs have gone through your care? I'd like to think you probably really have the best notes on this unless we have some breeders who deal in nothing but poecs.

I just ask because I too have read all over these boards that supposedly P. metallica is the "calmest" pokie. As if the best starter poec is out of price range for anybody looking to get into them without wasting $100~$200 on a spider.

Myself I just want a bright blue-violet tarantula!

But as far as getting into poecs went. Well my favorite vendor had 1"+ regalis slings for like $15.

So I went with them, and got a pair maybe a month ago. Because I was more intrigued just by the genus as opposed to needing the shineist one. But I started hearing "oh watch out. Regalis and ornata are the two most high strung and cranky of the pokies." "Metallicas and vitattas are much calmer".

Now the deeper I dug into this the more I just gathered that poecs all just behave..... Like poecs.... And each individual is prone to act however it wants to. Just like any other T.

Like the guy with a calm OBT, or the angry B. albopilosum.

So is there really a huge behavior difference in poec species? I know they have a decent geographical range. Does that change behavior much? I'm still learning a lot about them.

My 2 regalis have changed their behavior with thier molt cycle. They are very brave and usually on display until you disturb the enclosure. Then they run laps or,scutter around a bit. Keep disturbing and they retreat.
If they are on the cork bark... They are more apt to stay put through a disturbance. I'm assuming this is them trying to stay still and blend in.

But I don't know if I can call either of them "calm". They might calm down. But they're jumpy.
I will allways say that the 2 subfusca forms are the most calm T´s, with miranda as second. metalicca are as people say skittish and are actually guilty of several bites! But no poec is really calm, some are just more prone to defend themselves very quickly than others, so allways be aware when dealing with any of them!
I keep 100% OW and 70% of them are poecs, i have stopped counting how many, it will take to long ;-)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

That's typical Poec behavior. They're more likely to run and dart around when they're young, and as they get to 4"+ tend to stay motionless unless touched. Mine are usually on their cork slab waiting for food. If you don't mess with them, threat poses are rare. They usually prefer to blend in with their surroundings or go in their retreat when you open the cage. I always keep the lid close by when I open the cages, just in case, as sometimes they'll start walking around and may walk right out of the cage. I also have catch cups place around my room.

I do have a number of Poecs, 13 species, and my formosa are the most high strung. They keep some of the sling tendency to dart around, not quite as fast though. None of mine are aggressive, but then I respect them and their territory. There is a point at which they'll get defensive, but why go there? Personalities will vary in any species, but I don't have any extremes with my Poecs. I keep them pretty warm, and that would bring out all their natural responses (as opposed to being kept in a cool room). I got my first Poec in the mid 1990's, and have had a lot, and hatched out a lot. I'm very comfortable with them, as comfortable as some people are with Brachypelma (however, I don't handle any T). I know what they're capable of and act accordingly. It's like an understanding: I provide a suitable cage, food, and water, and they'll behave reasonably as long as I keep my hands away from them. My only real interaction is cupping males for breeding and putting them in females cages. That and pulling sacs from females (they hate to let go of them).

I'm no expert on any T, including Poecs, and have too many spiders to keep notes on; besides, I'm an accountant and recordkeeping is one of the last things I want to do when I get home. I do keep an inventory though, and 60% of my collection is OW, and 60% is arboreal (OW and NW). I have more Poecs than any other genus.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
why do you guys have them banned? because of bites and their venom?

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 07:15 AM ----------

id rather take urticating hairs anyday over a bite! all I really get with the hairs is a mild itch for an hour or two at most and that about it. except one time when I got it in my eye and didn't realize until I layed down to go to bed... worst thing ever!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
why do you guys have them banned? because of bites and their venom?
There's too many stupid people that think they need to show off keeping "the most potent tarantula" and that has lead to multiple bites, lots of bad media about them, ER visits, health insurance bills aso. Count all of that together and you have the reason. Personally, in the end in all comes down to keepers doing irresponsible things keeping the genus and/or underestimating them. Hence, certain cities or even parts of EU countries banned them from being kept. The only stupid thing about that is the fact that H. macs, S. cals or whatnot can be kept in those regions without problems mostly. Why? Because they didn't receive as much bad media aso as Poecies did. It's a very-much liked genus of tarantulas, let's be honest: Their markings are striking! And while I personally don't regard them as "the most beautiful", tons of people do. So more people get them and voila ...recipe for desaster.

Hence I can only say: If you keep Poecies - be freaking responsible, please! For the good of the hobby and all other keepers in it!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
There's too many stupid people that think they need to show off keeping "the most potent tarantula" and that has lead to multiple bites, lots of bad media about them, ER visits, health insurance bills aso. Count all of that together and you have the reason. Personally, in the end in all comes down to keepers doing irresponsible things keeping the genus and/or underestimating them. Hence, certain cities or even parts of EU countries banned them from being kept. The only stupid thing about that is the fact that H. macs, S. cals or whatnot can be kept in those regions without problems mostly. Why? Because they didn't receive as much bad media aso as Poecies did. It's a very-much liked genus of tarantulas, let's be honest: Their markings are striking! And while I personally don't regard them as "the most beautiful", tons of people do. So more people get them and voila ...recipe for desaster.

Hence I can only say: If you keep Poecies - be freaking responsible, please! For the good of the hobby and all other keepers in it!
well I guess that's an understandable reason. but its really not the Ts fault, its the owners. like I said before I don't intend on handling this one and know what could happen if I tried or if I pushed the boundaries too much. ive already made it as clear as day to my gf to of what could happen and we both have came to an agreement on this T being for display only (if its not hiding in its enclosure). only time it may possibly have a chance is when im dropping a cricket or roach in its enclosure and even then I wont have my hands in there or even have the lid opened all the way.

awiec

Arachnoprince
well I guess that's an understandable reason. but its really not the Ts fault, its the owners. like I said before I don't intend on handling this one and know what could happen if I tried or if I pushed the boundaries too much. ive already made it as clear as day to my gf to of what could happen and we both have came to an agreement on this T being for display only (if its not hiding in its enclosure). only time it may possibly have a chance is when im dropping a cricket or roach in its enclosure and even then I wont have my hands in there or even have the lid opened all the way.
Laws don't work like that, they are passed to "protect" the public from themselves. Same kind of thing with Pitbulls, I've met many well behaved ones but they are not allowed in some areas just cause they appeal to a certain type of people who want them to be aggressive or have no idea how to properly train a dog (and honestly most people I've met don't); so they are banned as that's the easy thing to do.