Good Way to Feed Fruit Flies to Slings!

MES

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone!
I've raised up one sling, and I am raising one right now, and I can tell you, it's a pain to feed them! I don't have access to any pinhead crickets, so I have to go for fruit flies. Today, while feeding my B. albopilosum "Nicaragua" sling, I came up with a way to feed it without wasting/spilling fruit flies everywhere:
1.) In your sling's cup, cut or drill a hole big enough for a drinking straw to fit into. (With the lid off of course, so as not to hurt your sling). Plug it up with paper towel (I used this), cotton, fabric, etc. 1544382270662643192222.jpg
2.) Get a sandwich baggie, and cut a small hole in the corner, just big enough for your straw to fit through 15443824102981219363159.jpg
3.) Tap down the fruit flies off the lid of the culture, take the lid off, and quickly put the baggie over it. You may have to hold the bag tight around the top so no flies escape. (Picture: You would have the lid off, just a demo)
1544382625582548161857.jpg
4.) After you have the desired amount of flies in the bag, try to separate them into a corner of the bag to pinch them off from the opening of the culture. Tap down the extra fruit flies like in step 3, then take the baggie off, and put the culture lid back on. Zip up the bag.
5.) Make sure you straw is in the very corner of the bag, with about 1/4 inch remaining in the bag 15443829465661453720377.jpg
6.) Unplug the hole in your sling's cup, and insert the straw
7.) Try to guide/let the fruit flies fall into the straw. Flick the straw if they are stuck on the inside of it.
8.) When all the flies are in the cup, remove the straw and re-plug the hole

I hope this helps, and sorry for the bad pictures!

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone!
I've raised up one sling, and I am raising one right now, and I can tell you, it's a pain to feed them! I don't have access to any pinhead crickets, so I have to go for fruit flies. Today, while feeding my B. albopilosum "Nicaragua" sling, I came up with a way to feed it without wasting/spilling fruit flies everywhere:
1.) In your sling's cup, cut or drill a hole big enough for a drinking straw to fit into. (With the lid off of course, so as not to hurt your sling). Plug it up with paper towel (I used this), cotton, fabric, etc. View attachment 294227
2.) Get a sandwich baggie, and cut a small hole in the corner, just big enough for your straw to fit through View attachment 294229
3.) Tap down the fruit flies off the lid of the culture, take the lid off, and quickly put the baggie over it. You may have to hold the bag tight around the top so no flies escape. (Picture: You would have the lid off, just a demo)
View attachment 294230
4.) After you have the desired amount of flies in the bag, try to separate them into a corner of the bag to pinch them off from the opening of the culture. Tap down the extra fruit flies like in step 3, then take the baggie off, and put the culture lid back on. Zip up the bag.
5.) Make sure you straw is in the very corner of the bag, with about 1/4 inch remaining in the bag View attachment 294231
6.) Unplug the hole in your sling's cup, and insert the straw
7.) Try to guide/let the fruit flies fall into the straw. Flick the straw if they are stuck on the inside of it.
8.) When all the flies are in the cup, remove the straw and re-plug the hole

I hope this helps, and sorry for the bad pictures!
Wow that’s a lot of work lol! Why not just cut up mealworms???

MES

Arachnosquire
Wow that’s a lot of work lol! Why not just cut up mealworms???
I know, haha! Slings are difficult! I should try that, but right now he's so small (about 1/4 inch) I just thought of fruit flies to feed him. I'll give it a try next feeding, hopefully it will work, I hate fruit flies lol

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Much easier is popping the culture in the fridge for a few minutes, or keeping the flies in by simply tapping the sides. But I rage quit fruit flies a long time ago. Dwarf white isopods are way easier! Or I cut up the tiny larvae of the tiny beetles in my dubia colony.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've heard fruit flies are not as nutritious as other feeders and read on a FB group that someone noticed slower growth rates of their slings that fed on FF compared to other feeders. I always like the convenience of cut up mealworms, they eat their fill and become quite plump pretty quickly.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I breed red runners and mealworms so I'm never short of appropriately sized feeders for slings. Never used fruit flies.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i have also heard that FFF are not great nutrition, but i have also heard that their nutritional value varies drastically depending on their diet I believe @Gaherp and @boina usually have something to say on the matter.

MES

Arachnosquire
Thank you guys for all the awesome information! Based on what you said, I'm going to try to switch my sling to mealworm pieces. Hopefully he will grow up better and faster! Thank you so much again!

boina

Lady of the mites
i have also heard that FFF are not great nutrition, but i have also heard that their nutritional value varies drastically depending on their diet I believe @Gaherp and @boina usually have something to say on the matter.
Yes, fruit flies aren't the best feeders nutritionally. They'll work for a few instars but there is better stuff out there. They are also too small for a B. albopilosum sling. Albopilosums aren't that tiny, and they are good hunters, too.

(I just fed my own, really tiny Tapinauchenius slings roaches were bigger than the slings and all four had no problem taking them down. I just don't bother with micro-feeders anymore, I'm just not patient enough for that.)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The only thing I use fruit flies for are really small true spider slings, other than that they are pretty much worthless.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Media available today is way better then any quick homemade recipes for the larvae. Also remember to add a pinch of two of yeast on top of the media for the adult flies. We can go back and forth & over and over until we are blue in the face. Folks are going to have an opinion on this subject be it good or bad. I will just leave it at the results. I produce tons of slings monthly with a good portion being dwarfs. They grow fast and healthy on a fruit fly diet. I have never witnessed these negative effects other folks are having and definitely no slow growth.

The larger slings move up to hydei and once they are too large for them it is roaches. Good idea with the fly catcher up top. We use toothpick containers since there is a a lot more flies we go through each feeding. Another container you may want to try is the one that Petsmart sells fruit flies in. It is a plastic vial with a lid once you remove the sponge and clean it out you end up with a perfect feeding vial with on hole in the top.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Like I said everyone has an opinion on flies. LOL

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Nutritionally poor or not, flies are a pain to deal with. Every sling I’ve ever raised will happily consume cricket legs.

cold blood

Staff member
Like I said everyone has an opinion on flies. LOL
My "opinion" comes from an actual arachnologist and what his studies proved...@boina has also posted links to studies showing this with true spiders as well.

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
I tried to use fruit flies when I got my first sling. This was before I read about them being poor nutrition, but the tarantula showed no interest in eating them, but it was fine with small crickets and cut up worms.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've not had much luck getting small trues (especially heteropoda) to eat pre-killed. I found a way around the poor nutrition thing, I just give them more flies, 10 or more at time, till they're large enough to eat pinhead roaches. This worked with my A. hentzi that refused to eat pre-killed too.

boina

Lady of the mites
Also remember to add a pinch of two of yeast on top of the media for the adult flies.
Not good enough. What you really need is a source of protein, like dog food. That's what scientists do that use Drosophila sp. in the lab as feeders. Drosophila are a poor source of essential amino acids. Slings will grow fine for a few instars but then growth will stagnate and finally they will die. None of the true spiders tested reached adulthood on a fruit fly only diet.

But yes, it will work for a few instars and I don't know if commercial medium has been supplemented with amino acids by now since it has been known for a while that Drosophila are deficient in those.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I often find I can substitute meat for fruit flies, because I get all the essential amino acids needed! :rolleyes: