good starter breeding turatula?

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was gunna atempt breeding turantulas, but wanted some tips, and perhaps what turatula is good to start with??
i was thinking the rose hair, mainly becus of its inexpensiveness. so if one eats the other i wont get out of too much money.
allso, when breeding. i place the male into the females encloser?
just general breeding tips and the name of a good spices to start with
i realy wana try to advicaly breed my red knee

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was gunna atempt breeding turantulas, but wanted some tips, and perhaps what turatula is good to start with??
i was thinking the rose hair, mainly becus of its inexpensiveness. so if one eats the other i wont get out of too much money.
allso, when breeding. i place the male into the females encloser?
just general breeding tips and the name of a good spices to start with
i realy wana try to advicaly breed my red knee
Well you can try with a rosea if you would like. Do you have 2 that are ready to breed? Yes you should introduce the male into the female's enclosure. Might want to have something for the male to run to and something to block the female off if she tries to make a meal out of the guy.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think one of the best starters on breeding is the P. murinus. Like the concept that they are a hardy species and are easy to take care of, those reasons make them easy to breed and be sucessful.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how expensive are thay genraly?? like i said i want something relativly cheap, as to make sure if ones eaten, it can easly be replaced.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they are generally not much more expensive than g. rosea - and they certainly breed easier as the females generally build a sac.

with all grammostola it is a bit more difficult: the mating usually works out just fine, but often, the females do not make a sac. a cooling period helps, but not always.

so i would recommend p. murinus as well. only hook: those are quite defensive and fast. so if you are a beginner to defensive species, you might not feel confident enough to breed them.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have never had any old world ts,
i did own one that the pet store called a "star burst" but never did adintafie it.
i usely like the new world simply cus thear much more peacefull. another advantage the rose hair will have is its easy to find in pet stores, so no shiping :p lol.. ill look into the t yall sugested.
any more tips, or posibly a good new world t to start with?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
in my experience, avicularia species breed easily - a cheap one would be avicularia avicularia. however, the slings are fragile and tend to die a lot if not kept under ideal conditions (a lot of circulation, rather dry but offered water quite often).

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i did own one that the pet store called a "star burst" but never did adintafie it.
i usely like the new world simply cus thear much more peacefull. another advantage the rose hair will have is its easy to find in pet stores, so no shiping :p lol.. ill look into the t yall sugested.

Well to my knowledge, a lot of pet stores sell P. murinus as a Starburst Baboon or other similar names. I've even seen one at an expo they were calling a sunburst. One common name for the P. murinus that I have seen on a care sheet was Mombassa Golden Starburst.

Like Alice said, usually you can buy an adult P. murinus for about the same price as a rosea. They are fairly common and therefore in-expensive.

Hope this helps you out.

~Carla~

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You won't have to worry about shipping here in town. Once you decide what you want I might have it or know where you can get it in Houston.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes P.murinus are easy to breed. But, they are fast moving and there are many threads on the Boards about escapees (do a search.) they are not a species you would want to try handling. They have been given the nickname Orange Bitey Thing (OBT) for good reason.

G.rosea are notoriously hard to get an egg sac laid.

A.avics are a good beginer species. They are cheap and the pair can live together. The males have been known to even help with building the eggsac.

Holothele incei are also a good species to start with, they can live together and they generally don't eat their young as long as you give them enough food and hiding spaces. Also they are under 3" so they dont take up much room. These are a true colonial species IMO.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry but i whould never keep 2 ts together, even if thay are pink toes:S

yal lare starting to get me to think of breeding the pink toe, and since many of the babies might die, it means less for me to care for.
ok, so im thinking im gunna do eather the pinktoe, or starburst baboon*i dont handel my ts any way, so it dosent matter*
ill have to get a good set up going, i have a spare 10 gall, but will need another for the male.
once i have every thing set up, ill decied witch to go for. and atempt breeding.
is thear any way u can defently tell if a female is sexualy matuer??
i know males buld sperm web thingys and get lil claws,

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You wont need a 10 gallon for a mature male...... once you locate one a 5 will do just fine. Hes not doing to care to much about anything anyway. Hes going to think about passing on his genes and eating just enough to get the job done.
Sexual maturity is attached to size somewhat..... with OBTs though they are mature fairly fast so if you get a female thats over 4.5" shes ready to rock and roll. Avics about the same size as well. ( I have heard of slightly smaller females mating just fine, but never done it myself.)
Good luck with your project I would do OBT's as well. Even if you dont get anything from the female at least they are still very entertaining. They web tons and are so brilliant when they molt.