Good poting soil???

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Im about to rehouse my B.vagans I usually use coco fiber as substrate but I was thinking of using potting soil and sand mix this time around for him because I think it will hold up better wen he burrows. my question is what are some good brands of potting soil that I can find at A Home Depot or Orchard Home Supply?
any advice and or info is welcome and deeply appreciated.

fingersoup

Arachnopeon
I use a mixture of coco fiber and a bit of "calci-sand" the kind they sell for hermit crabs. - Works well and good for most live plants if you are considering that too.

Last edited:

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, I use live plants in alot of my set ups, B.vsgans live in a dryer Klimt what would you recommend as far as plants?

Last edited:

fingersoup

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info, I use live plants in alot of my set ups, B.vsgans live in a dryer Klimt what would you recommend as far as plants?
Any non-spined succulents. I'll try to look up some names for you tonight or tomorrow of some good ones. I'm also currently growing some wheat grass in one of the g. rosea's tank and I'm going to let the grass dry out and die so it will look like "deserty" shrub land. Dry moss adds a nice touch too. ;)

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah I had some grass growing in my H.lividum tank that I planted from grass seed but I let it dry up as well. I want to plant some type of moss or filler plant inside. there is this one type of grass that reminds of the desert scenery but I dint know the name. I'm going to look it up.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any sort of generic tropical potting soil without fertilizer is a fine choice.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The main plant I use is Pothos. Well, the main plant I used. Its a tropical but can handle drying out a bit and low light. Succulents require full sun for almost the entire day. I have stopped using live plants altogether and just use silks now.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people feel that sand is a poor substrate, even when mixed with something else, as it can clog book lungs and such. I've never used it but since there is no real purpose for it (other than perhaps cosmetic), I'd suggest sticking with potting soil or peat. I don't use a specific brand, but prefer to look for anything that is organic. If you want to try a mix, I'd recommend vermiculite and potting soil/peat. It has the same look as sand, but the grains are larger and less likely to cause problems. You should be able to find vermiculite in any decent garden center.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use Schultz Cactus and Succulent Mix. It contains reed-sedge peat, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, and washed sand. It has all the benefits of peat, but it packs better and is much less dusty. If I feel like it after I set up the tank, I sprinkle a BIT of play sand on the surface of the substrate, and sometimes a few pieces here and there of aquarium gravel. This way, your T has a good soft, but solid substrate, and you can control its aesthetic appearance. This potting mix is also perfect for any plants you should choose to include in your desert setup... very convenient. You'll find that nearly all desert succulents die without tons of sunlight tho.

http://www.schultz.com/ProductCategories/Soilsamendments/CactusSoil/