• Get a pokie

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • More exp.

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I have been wondering, i really love pokies. And really want to get 1, i have expeirience with Psalmopoeus what are the difference between them? Good or Bad? Thanks!
I need your opinion!

James

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Poecs are a great addition to any experienced keeper's collection, however, they are sort of a "law unto themselves", in that no particular species or genus will prepare you for keeping Poecilotheria. Keeping Psalmopoeus will definitely prepare you for some aspects, but in the long run, it is simply general experience with the hobby that prepares you for Poecs. Poecs are not an aggressive genus, but are very unpredictable in their actions, which is a trait that is usually misunderstood in this genus. My recommendation would be to start with a young P. regalis, as these are fairly calm compared to other members of the genus, and are usually recommended as the "starter" Poecilotheria species. Getting a young one will not only allow you to watch it grow up, but will also allow you to slowly become accustomed to the "quirks" of this genus. Just remember to be extra cautious and gentle, as Poecilotheria is generally a very shy group, and can be startled into a sudden burst of speed easier than imagined.

Good luck!

Flannery

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Thank you Flannery!

I am going to send a money order for the following t's from Kelly Swift:

2 P.regalis
1 A.versicolor
1 P.cambridgei

Thanks for helping me decide! :) ;)

James

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Thank you Flannery!

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
I am going to send a money order for the following t's from Kelly Swift:

2 P.regalis
1 A.versicolor
1 P.cambridgei

Thanks for helping me decide! :) ;)

James
Gee, you really seem to like the P. cambridgei, it will be your fourth!!

Dennis

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Re: Re: Thank you Flannery!

Originally posted by dennie
Gee, you really seem to like the P. cambridgei, it will be your fourth!!

Dennis

Yup! I love P.cam's! 3 is not enough!

James

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well his name is "Psalmopoeus Lover".......it kind of makes sense doesn't it ?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMO, you have to accept the fact that no matter what the docility level of a spider is, you there is always a chance that you will get bit. Accidents happen. I would much rather have an accident with an Avic. or Brachy. than a Pokie or any other notoriously hot species.

I think pokies ARE the most awesome looking family of tarantulas. They make for great pictures. But I think there is too much risk involved when bringing them into the home, especially when there are other family members in that house.

Now I'm sure that you have read all the bite reports for the pokes. So you know that recipients go through lots and lots of pain. Maybe you are alright with that. However, when was the last time that you came across a pokie bite report on a kid? I haven't seen one. What if the venom is too strong for your body to metabolize?

I say find a nice picture of a pokie and use it as your desktop background.

But thats just my opinion.

Jon

PS - I think the jury is still out on the toxicity level of Psalmopoes bites right now.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Venom
Well his name is "Psalmopoeus Lover".......it kind of makes sense doesn't it ?
Eeerr, afaik it's Tarantula Lover ;)

Dennis

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dream spider

The #1 T on my wishlist is a P_Regalis but I am waiting 'til my kids get older before I get one. I have come across some major GDs (good deals) but I am making myself wait. It's kind of cool having something to look forward to.

p.s.
I get my T's one at a time and the next on my list is a A_Geniculata so if anyone knows of a "GD" on those let me know.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
However, when was the last time that you came across a pokie bite report on a kid? I haven't seen one. What if the venom is too strong for your body to metabolize?
I agree with Jon here, if Poecilotheria venom causes such extreme pain in adults (and that last bitereport was from regalis, don't remember the name of the guy that got bit), than it could be lifethreatening for someone with a much smaller body mass (the concentration of venom would be much higher). If you really want one, be sure that your hands never go near them. We'd all hate to lose the Psalmopoeus Lover to a Poecilotheria...
Greetz, and good luck on your decision,
Joost

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
honostly... i tell almost everyone to just get a pokie and be responsible... but i know you yourself are quite young and you have a family to think about.... i'd wait till you had a few years experience before getting one.....

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What do your parents think? Your father seemed rather adamant about you not getting something "aggressive". I know that many keepers have differing opinions on whether or not Pokies( or any T for that matter) should be labled as aggressive. I also know that the possibility of a bite is very real, and there is at least some question about the toxicity of their venom. I would hate for a mishap to occur.

John

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

@JP my dad said that if I just kept it in my room it should be fine, i was thinking of a sling regalis
@Joost, Jon I have 7 brothers and sisters plus a mom and dad :)
I guess you guys are right! Guess i will stick to Psalmopoeus and other diff. genus. Thanks for helping me decide and change my mind(again...) You guys are really helpful! So thinking about this order from exopets:
(note:all slings 1.5" or lower)
1 T.gigas
1 P.irminiia
1 P.pulcher
1 P.reduncas

Thanks again!
btw-I LOVE PSALMOPOEUS!!!

James

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought you were getting rid of a bunch of Curlies because you did have enough room for them but now you are talking about getting several new spiders....

I'm glad you opted not to get a Pokie for your sake. And I doubt that your parents would have let you keep it if they read any of the bite reports.

kellygirl

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey kellygirl, someone already opted to take them all! So that leaves room for these!!

James