Good Goliath bird eater enclosure?

Atemporal

Arachnopeon
I recently went to an event called Exoticon and while browsing I spotted this dude. I decided to take him home with me and bought some stuff for his home while I was there. The person who sold me him said it was a male.

I know Goliath bird eaters are frowned at for a beginner species but I’m doing everything I can to make sure I give it the right care. The only experience I have so far when it comes to tarantulas is my Avicularia. Avicularia and Nhandu chromatus.

Anyway I was just wondering if my current setup is good enough for it until 1-2 molts later. I also know this is a more humid species so any tips on keeping the substrate from drying out would be good!

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Looks fine for a molt , did they confirm it was male or just guess?
Old debate about cage size

Atemporal

Arachnopeon
Looks fine for a molt , did they confirm it was male or just guess?
Old debate about cage size
The lady who sold it to me just said it was a male, but I don’t know if they 100% confirmed it with a molt or not.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Definitely good for a molt. The only thing with kritter keepers is that they let a LOT of moisture out. So you can either tape off some of the vents, or just make sure the sub stays moist. You’ll just have to stay on it more. Gorgeous spiders! I’m picking up a female T.apophysis tomorrow :)

Atemporal

Arachnopeon
Definitely good for a molt. The only thing with kritter keepers is that they let a LOT of moisture out. So you can either tape off some of the vents, or just make sure the sub stays moist. You’ll just have to stay on it more. Gorgeous spiders! I’m picking up a female T.apophysis tomorrow :)
Thanks for the tip! And have fun with your T.apophysis, really cool spiders 🔥

cold blood

Staff member
I know Goliath bird eaters are frowned at for a beginner species
Honestly they arent all that difficult.
I also know this is a more humid species so any tips on keeping the substrate from drying out would be good!
Forget humidity, simply keep the substrate damp....when it dries, add more water....its not like they die instantly if things dry out.
did they confirm it was male or just guess?
There is hardly a reason to molt sex them, there isnt an easier t to vent sex.
So you can either tape off some of the vents
NEVER use tape on ventilation.

cold blood

Staff member
Curious as to why? I have always heard you can use tape on kritter keepers?
tape sticks to everything....ts have a way of grabbing anything through those vents they can...you dont want the t getting stuck on tape.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I guess I never thought of that as an issue. Then again just because I haven't had that happen doesn't mean that it has not/could not happen. Thanks for the insight! Obvious now in hindsight lol

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
There is a workaround but essentially you have to cover any potentially exposed tape with tape sticky side to the original piece of tape. I just centre a smaller piece on the original, making sure there are no gaps which the T could catch on. I have only ever used this method to cover holes that the new inhabitant may fit through though.

Atemporal

Arachnopeon
Honestly they arent all that difficult.

Forget humidity, simply keep the substrate damp....when it dries, add more water....its not like they die instantly if things dry out.

There is hardly a reason to molt sex them, there isnt an easier t to vent sex.

NEVER use tape on ventilation.
Appreciate it 👍