Good First Burrowing Species?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it has less to do with the specie and more to do with the design of the tank. I had 2 H. gigas in a communal tank and I see them through the side of the KK all the time. The hole is there but the burrow is along the side of the tank so I can observe them easily. Without a thoughtful design, pet hole is to be expected.
See the videos below
[Youtube]QoNhgwpdeZs[/Youtube]
[Youtube]dNtP7DZLi5k[/Youtube]
See! No pet hole!

K2zverynas

Arachnopeon
Man,I don't know...The tank is good,there is plenty of substrate...But mine just isn't a pethole... when it was small as yours she sited in her burrow all the time...But not any more ;P And it is kind of great to see her :)

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brachypelma albopilosum. My curlyhair is very docile and burrowed a good eight inches into its coconut fiber substrate; luckily it burrowed next to the edge of the tank so I can see it. Or you could always go with a trapdoor; they are incredible.

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go blue, lividum style ;P

IMO, both my 7" female king baboon and 3.25" unsexed King baboon are very active, night or day.
I like my 7" female King bec I can see her all they time through her elaborate tunnel. However the H. Lividum is very secretive and not active at all. (but can be placed in much smaller enclosure).

Last edited:

loverVSliar

Arachnopeon
Sorry for a quick question, I have a B. albopilosum(bad spelling) but, as a previous poster mentioned they burrow, i currently have a small tank for it, that only has substrate about 2 inches deep, would I be better off getting a talller tank and adding more substrate(keeping the length of the tank the same as it is now. If that made any sense.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, the question was asked months ago and this thread recently resurrected but i'll chime in anyway. the OP asked about a pet hole that didn't need a lot of moisture. That crosses H gigas, any Haplopelmas, Ephebopus, Chilobrachys right off the list. Think African. Ceratogyrus don't need a lot of humidity at all. i keep mine pretty dry with an occasional flooding. C crawshayi like it downright dry and dusty, like G rosea dry.

IMO haplopelmas are the most pet-holish of all the burrowing varieties, I find them kind of boring in spite of their fantastic markings. My E murinus comes out daily, so does my H gigas and C huahini. By far though, my most active burrowers are C marshalli (darlingi?). They're so interesting with multiple tunnels, multiple entrances and those sweet little horns! They also grow pretty quickly and eat very aggressively. That's my recommendation for a dryer burrower; Ceratogyrus, whichever one you can find.

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My H. lividum is a brilliant pet hole. It comes out once a day for about an hour, has a stroll around the tank and back in the hole. I see it all the time, which is surprising based on everybody's experience. Guess I was lucky with mine.

Either that, or there is some unexplained reason that makes it want to come out of the burrow...?

Johnnyj

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first OW burrower was a lividum and, like every T I own, she seems to be the oddball of her species. This one makes an appearance EVERY day outside her burrow, then goes back in and webs her door shut. Very fun spider, not nearly as "omg this thing is gonna kill me" as I'd hoped, but still fun.

Id say my advise would be to analyze whatever species seems to be easiest to keep at optimal humidity. I've found that here in Seattle we have lots of humidity but to keep my apartment warm I basically have to dry it out. My point is, judge the difficulty not on the danger of the spider but the ability to keep it happy. This works for guys like me who don't handle their OW species. :) :)