good display scorp specie(s)?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
At current, I have a H. arizonensis. (thank you mebebraz) However, he is more prone to hang out inside his half log, than be in the open. Can anyone suggest some species that make good display scorps, that are interesting looking?
Thanks....
Peace,
Gillian

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Centruroides sp. tend to hang out on bark if you provide it for them. Thus, they make good display speces. A bit on the hot side, though. Vaejovis sp. apparently also tend to hang out, but I have no personal experience with them.

Cheers,
Dave

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Dave,
Thanks...I have to admit..scorps are very cute...in a dangerous sort of way..:)
Peace,
Gillian

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
My V.spinigerus is not a very visible scorp...Admittedly it is the only Vaejovis I have kept.

As Dave mentioned Centruroides sp. are good viewing scorps as they will hang out on the surface of bark or other climbable objects in their enclosure. C.exilicauda is a nice one but is a bit hot. C.margaritatas(if you can find one) is a good sized (3-3.5") nicely colored scorp and is pretty mellow (At least the ones I have seen). C.gracilis (3.5-4")can be quick to get into a defensive posture and is relatively safe as long as they are from Florida and not Central America. C.vittatus is closely related to C.exilicauda and of similar size and color range and their venom is not as hot as C.exilicauda...C.vittatus is probably wild in your area too.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
C margaritatus are my fav as far as viewable scorps go. I lucked up with mine for $8 each at last year's herp show in Atlanta. I believe Glades Herp has one right now, though priced at a quite high $25. Gherp.com always has top condition specimen though and a very good shipping guarantee. That one there may be something to look at and Glades can probably get more pretty fast if you chose to work with them. You can come across this species for a better price though, if you study the scorp well and attend the nearby arachnid fairs and such to look around for them. I have a pair of gravid females and this species is amongst the easiest to get to breed that I have found, next to H. spadix, who definitely takes the poll position.

adios,
edw. =D

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Centruroides sp. tend to hang out on bark if you provide it for them.
Yes, I can vouch for the fact that Centruroides are... 'Gregarious'.

bill