Good and bad day at my LPS, But left with a smile!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Well today was a fun day goin to the LPS to "look around" at Ts. The bad news is they had a gravid G. pulchripes lay a sac and it dried up. I would guessed around 400+ easy if it was saved. I had seen her last week with a huge abdomen. It never crossed my mind she was gravid. :wall: She attempted to dig out the gravel from her water dish seeking moisture to make a sac. Too bad i couldnt of showed up sooner to rescue the sac. :8o :drool:

The good news: I found a 5" P. ornata female and talked the reptile manager into a trade for some slings. I was generous and made an offer. We both agreed on a couple 2" female LP, an unsexed 1/2" B. emilia and 1" P. irminia. Since she is expecting a new baby and isnt buying any Ts soon so I tossed in a couple OBT slings and a C. elegans baby. Im sure she kept the B. emilia for herself since its her favorite. Pretty good trade for me considering i had extras. She is a great person to talk to and teach new things. I showed her how to sex via Spermathcae and epiandrous fussilae. Im glad they keep the molts so I was 100% sure the ornata was female. :D I have successfully got them to change over the water dishes from sponges to rocks also. They been goin strong for 2 months! LOL thats a huge step! Any way heres a photo of my new girl.

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:drool: I cant wait for my ornatas to get like that... :D

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice:clap: It's always reassuring when the LPS's accept corrections to their husbandry errors.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Did i screw up?!?! I was pretty sure i found a Spermathcae on the molt but it was a bit tangled up.. I am looking at the dorsal of this thing and thinking its a male!!? I didnt even think to look at the dorsal pattern!! :wall: Ill get a vent pic up so you guys can tell me im an idiot. :wall: I guess it doesnt really matter since i can probably trade back. Still dissapointing. LOL i shouldnt of been so excited. I should of known better.. the person that supplies them with Ts sends them males only!! MAybe im crazy idk.. I need a second opinion on this specimen.. I am a bit worried. I wish the molt i had wasnt so tangled. I was sure i found a very thin rather long spermathicae it was like a red upside down U shape.. could i have been looking at something else?

Last edited:

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks male to me man, sorry. It looks male from the top too because it is gettign kinda faded. Don't worry about it too much and just enhoy the poeci while you can.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
looks male to me man, sorry. It looks male from the top too because it is gettign kinda faded. Don't worry about it too much and just enhoy the poeci while you can.
What do you mean it looks faded? what photo are you refering to? If you think its male please tell me why.
Do you have much experience with sexing pokies? If not please dont try to sex my T.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you mean it looks faded? what photo are you refering to? If you think its male please tell me why.
Do you have much experience with sexing pokies? If not please dont try to sex my T.
Nope don't have much experience with pokies but I can do molts and I say male. Males colors start to get worn out faded looking just like this http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...Zh33z4&t=1&usg=__YooB0cxl1FUgThl13yl4ctJ3ukI=

yours is getting the yellowish to it. I say male

Then again could be a bad pic because it is holding it's pattern well.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would need a bit of a sharper picture, but if I leaned one way or the other, I would still lean female.

If you still have anything with the molt left, PM me and I can toss it under the scope or bring it to my local clubs more powerful scope in a couple weeks.

Joe

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with your assessment agent. I think your ornata is still too small to begin its dimorph color changing that would indicate male. A faded poec doesn't mean a dang thing! Hahh!

Like I said, PM me and I can help you get that sexed if you still have the molt hanging around. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
ok here you go!!! fingers crossed. I kinda threw out the whole dorsal thing since i found out they can have a dark color like that even as adults. I swore to i had it sexed. There was a red flap. Just kind of a sketchy deal since i couldnt untangle the molt.. I am still leaning female.. i just need some help.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I agree with your assessment agent. I think your ornata is still too small to begin its dimorph color changing that would indicate male. A faded poec doesn't mean a dang thing! Hahh!

Like I said, PM me and I can help you get that sexed if you still have the molt hanging around. :)
it could just be close to molt or something so

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I think it just recently molted. It had a pretty skinny abdomen. I just fed it a hisser and 2 crickets to bulk up. I figured if it turns out to be a male i will ask her if i can have one of there mm Pokies. They have like 3-4 MM pokies. She offered me them to buy/trade since nobody has any use for them. I think i should buy them and try some loans. I know that some have been mature for about a year. but some were within the last couple months. They have pederseni, rufilata, and some others i cant remember. :} I could find them dates. She practicaly told me i could have them for almost nothing!! I could even do a 50/25/25 with the pet store.. LOL

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
So its settled for me. Its a female im 100% sure. I looked at the exvium and remember the distinct shape of it. Looking at a pic of a molt from one i see they have a spermathicae that is very distinct. Plus comparing the vent over and over. And comparing the overall look of adlut pokie variations. I think the flash in the above photo drowns out alot of the dorsal outline pattern. When i go back to deliver the last T i owe them ill be sure to grab the molt to take photos. {D I gotta laugh when i get all worried and start second guessing myself. It always happends when there is a small doubt in my mind. I have only been wrong a few times sexing since i figured it out. There is no way i found somthing as long as this and it be a male. http://www.pticjipajki.com/galerija_en.php?izbor=6

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it just recently molted. It had a pretty skinny abdomen. I just fed it a hisser and 2 crickets to bulk up. I figured if it turns out to be a male i will ask her if i can have one of there mm Pokies. They have like 3-4 MM pokies. She offered me them to buy/trade since nobody has any use for them. I think i should buy them and try some loans. I know that some have been mature for about a year. but some were within the last couple months. They have pederseni, rufilata, and some others i cant remember. :} I could find them dates. She practicaly told me i could have them for almost nothing!! I could even do a 50/25/25 with the pet store.. LOL
I still say your ornata girl is female! Now, if you still have the molt, I can get it untangled and under a scope to prove as long as the parts are still there (regardless of crunched or torn) we should still be able to find it. You can drop it in the mail to me and we can dig on it. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I still say your ornata girl is female! Now, if you still have the molt, I can get it untangled and under a scope to prove as long as the parts are still there (regardless of crunched or torn) we should still be able to find it. You can drop it in the mail to me and we can dig on it. :)
Thanks ill take a gander at it again and get some photos. You should be able to tell from the pics ill get. It was only torn (after i soaped it up) and the parts kinda mixed up. Ill get some pics up today if they didnt toss it out. Thanks for the help and the encouragement. You must know how it is to rack your brain over a silly spider for hours.. {D

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going for female. Let's hope we are correct!
1. spermathecae sexing under a microscope or magnifying glass is a guaranteed method to determine the sex.
2. ventrally males do not have a pronounced epigastric furrow like I see in your pics, as shown in the first photo to follow of my P. ornata female.
3. in my experience, Poecilotheria males do keep a darker folio pattern than the females. Obviously, this isn't written in stone. But you can see it in the second pic I'm posting of the same P. ornata female.

thought I had a better pic uploaded, but you can still see the folio is almost totally faded.

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thanks BCscorp for those photos. Very pretty girl you have there. It is important for me to have a female because i have a male thats 2.5" and im hoping that when the time comes i will be able to pair them. :D