goliath won't stop eating

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, when i first got the lil guy he wouldn't eat, now he/she won't stop eating its ate a dozen crickets in 3 days and these aren't little crickets there just as big as the spider. now hes gotten really really fat. should I stop feeding it for a few days or just keep on feeding it till it quites. anouther thing is when it first catches a cricket it does a little dance, it turns in circles and ounces up and down, does anyone know why it does this .

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed ours untill they stop.
And the bouncing and bobbing is normal.
I call it te cricket dance. They lay down a little webbing.
Sometimes they pin the cricket down with it.
But it's nothing to worry about all our T's do it.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so just keep on feedin it, anouther thing is that I was wondering how fast do they grow it was one inch when i got it, it molted, and now its about two and a half inches, I read on anouther post that someones blondi went from 2.5 inches to 6 is that possible?

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fuzzy, my Rosehair, will do the cricket dance whenever I feed her. I find it quite amusing. She likes to take down two crickets at the same time as well. She just really loves her crickets.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Ahhh, the cricket dance, always cool no matter how many times I see it.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
so just keep on feedin it, anouther thing is that I was wondering how fast do they grow it was one inch when i got it, it molted, and now its about two and a half inches, I read on anouther post that someones blondi went from 2.5 inches to 6 is that possible?
I would feed it all it will take. The one cool thing about T. blondi is thier size, so power feeding it would only serve to help it reach the massive sive keepers desire.

Infinity

Arachnopeon
One of our T. blondi ate what could only be described as a whole family of pinkies (plus one small adult) when we first brought her home. She was wild caught and a little ragged looking, so we fed her as much as she could eat.

As far as I know (and don't quote me on this), it's nearly impossible to over feed a T, with the exception of some species like B. albopilosum which can get an ulcer on the abdomen which may rupture during molting if the T is too heavy-bodied.

In general, the T will usually eat only as much as it needs (or wants). Plus, they have the ability to regurgitate, which comes in handy as well...

Also, as far as molting from 2.5 to 6" in one molt, I think it's safe to rule that one out as urban legend. :?

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive heard of p regalis growing like that are u sure a blondi can't do that??:?

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wish I had hat problem with some of my Ts. ;) Some of them have kind of annoying eating schedules.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My little blondi was about 3/4" when I first got her. She eats just like yours... her name is "J Lo" if that gives you any clue!:rolleyes: She seems to double in size with each molt, but that will slow down probably when she is a juv. They say they are very slow growing, but there is a period in all slings' lives when they have a growth spurt.

Have fun watching her grow, it's fascinating!!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
johnnyjohnjon,
The cricket dance is so well, I'll say it; cute. My G. aurestriata, Rand, does the most elaborate one. As for non-stop eating, Kaja, my big girl, usually stops eating for a month or more, before molt.

When her fangs harden up, I give her either a big fuzzy, or a rat pup. If (notice I said IF), I fed her this way, twice a week, she could eat 2 fuzzies a week, for 3 weeks. However, she becomes outrageously fat. So, I feed her once a week, until she plumps back up.
Peace, love & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oh man...

Originally posted by Infinity

As far as I know (and don't quote me on this), it's nearly impossible to over feed a T, with the exception of some species like B. albopilosum which can get an ulcer on the abdomen which may rupture during molting if the T is too heavy-bodied.

In general, the T will usually eat only as much as it needs (or wants). Plus, they have the ability to regurgitate, which comes in handy as well...
there are threads on this subject, trust me-(I am an owner of fatt-butt T's)- start doing a search on these boards, and you can read first hand the great overeating/feeding debates.
I can honestly say that I do not feed them as larger Ts, the way I feed them as slings. But, my parahybana is an exception and she does the fabulous cricket dance and will grab as many crickets at a time that I put in there. She gets fed more than the others.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
My little blondi was about 3/4" when I first got her. She eats just like yours... her name is "J Lo" if that gives you any clue!:rolleyes:
Hahahahaha

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When he's full he'll stop, I say keep feeding, maybe skip a day or two in between though.

Andy