Goliath Molt Accident...Fatal???

bradk

Arachnopeon

I am trying to post again as my post didn't show up before.

Anyhow, I feel like an expectant father...

My Goliath looks like it has lost at least one leg perhaps two in the middle of it's molt. It hasn't done much in the last couple hours. I am concerned it needs help or if there is anything I should be doing to fix it's wound or help it complete it's molt.

Please let me know. This is my first spider and my first molt.

Brad

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brad,
I really don’t know what you can do, it appears to me like a couple of the legs are being to separate from the actual body. The fangs also look like they have been drying for some time. Goliaths are notorious for bad molting and it looks like you’re the next victim. I offer my condolences.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All I can say is mist the tank. Not the spider, buyt the tank to raise the humidity some and Don't disturb it.
And maybe light a candle.
I Hope, fervently hope you don't lose your baby.
Spiders lose legs and live.
I hope this one does too.
Just get that humidity up gently and leave it alone.
If the fates Do decide it's not going to make it.
I sincerly am sorry. And hope your next Blondi does better.
Good luck to you and your baby.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If my spider anatomy memory is right.

Thats the part of the leg they can rip off becuase that part of the leg can cut the blood off and seal itself

bradk

Arachnopeon
Should I help it finish it's molt? It seems to not be moving now for some hours.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
If my spider anatomy memory is right.

Thats the part of the leg they can rip off becuase that part of the leg can cut the blood off and seal itself
I read that as well someplace.
As long as the whole leg is thrown off it's less liekly to bleed to death. Natual cinch areas.
Where as if it looses Part of a leg it's more likely that it will bleed to much.

Thie is a direct quote from the sheet I read. So if it's disagreed with here it's not My words.
""""If your tarantula becomes injured in any way and starts bleeding, it is likely to die if not treated. If it loses a leg during a molt, you may be keeping the humidity too low. Hemolymph (tarantula "blood") is pale blue and the clotting systems to stop bleeding may not be sufficient if the wound is large enough. Wounds can be coated with triple nail hardener, nail menders, "Nuskin," medical adhesive, or "Skin Patch" (used by bowlers). Lost legs aren't as likely to bleed as long as the whole leg is cast off (this is called "autotomy.") If a spider loses part of the leg, you can force it to throw off the rest by grasping the femur leg segment close to the body with a pair of forceps and pulling up. If the stumps start to bleed, and this may happen weeks after the leg is lost, you can coat them with one of the materials above. The leg will gradually regenerate over the next few molts, unless the spider is a mature male. Various super glues are probably better to treat abdominal trauma.""""

Though I wouldn;t recomend screwing with the spider mid moult. But if the folks here with MUCH greater knowlege and experience then I suggest it.
Maybe it's worth trying. If the spots are bleeding really bad. The spider will bleed to death anyway.

I don't know. But I hope those that Do know will be of more assistance.

Keep us posted bradk

And I'll keep all my crossables crossed for your T.

Good luck.

bradk

Arachnopeon
It hasn't moved now in at least 6 hours (which is when I first saw it this morning). I think it may have passed already. I am tempted to give it a nudge to see if it responds? Good idea?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Knowing myself I'd prolly puff a poof of air on it and watch for reaction.
I don't know what the safe window between waiting to know moult from death is.
But I know how curiosity is....
Me. I'd prolly do the puff puff breath test and then still wait a while longer...
But I'm a strange old gal..

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Brad,
Get something very soft, as a paintbrush. Gently, touch it. I hope your baby makes it. I myself sweated through a hard molt with my juvie female. I stayed up all night with her..She did make it, but was weak for several days.
I too, will light a candle for you..
Peace,
Gillian

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooo that looks painful...i agree with nixy on this, you might want to bump the humidity up a few notches!

Risto

bradk

Arachnopeon
The spider has expired. I blew on it, then nudged it. Nothing. Dead as a door nail. I noticed a funny odor but I thought that was either the substrate or the molt skin. Obviously the spider was dead for a many hours and was already decaying.

Can anyone recommend a large species other than T Blondi which is a bit more forgiving?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lasiodora Parahybananas?
By all accounts, they're like a more resilient, bold, piggish, less aggressive although bit more devious cousin of the Blondi :) And since they get lotsa kids, they're much cheaper, generally.

Sorry about the loss :(

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brad,
Thats to bad about your T. Sorry.:(
I got online at the house I was working on this morning, and saw your post. I hoped all day I'd come home and see that it turned out ok.
I hope this does'nt put you off of getting a new Tarantula.
I've been wanting a T.blondi. but haven't bought one for this very reason. Bad blondi molts..
Stick around Brad, this is a really good site. With super nice and helpful people.
Welcome to the group.

Ernie

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Parahybananas?"

I don't like to nitpick about people's typos, but I found that one a bit amusing.

Anyway, I have a question about blondis and molts. I've always read that this species tends to have problems molting, but at what size are problematic molts most frequent?

I'm assuming that bigger blondis account for most of the bad molts, but at what size do such problems usually manifest themselves?

4"?

5"?

When?

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
sorry, brad, to hear about your blondi loss.

i just lost my a. geniculata to a bad moult, too.

i don't know if you plan to remove your blondi from its exoskeleton and mount it or not, but some helpful ideas were given to me when my a. genic expired, and can be found
here

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?
"Parahybananas?"

I don't like to nitpick about people's typos, but I found that one a bit amusing.
Um, it was meant to be :)

bradk

Arachnopeon
Mine was about 5-6" in this molt. I was thinking of mounting her but the smell was awful. Honestly she was probably dead for a day or so based on the smell alone.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought all Ts curl up into a death ball with their legs under them when they pass. Im not sure how it goes if they pass during or right after a molt, but ...

Anyways, sorry to hear about your T anyhow.

-Jobe

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by bradk
Mine was about 5-6" in this molt. I was thinking of mounting her but the smell was awful. Honestly she was probably dead for a day or so based on the smell alone.
Brad,
hmmmmm...That's odd....my Kaja was at that size, this past molt. She had a really rough time of it. I'm wondering if this is a crucial shed time for them? Don't give up brad, ok? :)
Peace,
Gillian

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You guys are scaring me! My T Blondi is about 5 inches or so, and I have yet to see her molt since I just got her as an Xmas present.. Is the problem with bad molting a huge thing with them? If it is, can anyone suggest how I best prepare her so maybe I won't have any issues like this?I keep her in a 10g tank with bed-a-beast kept moist and with water in the tank all the time, and with an under-tank heatpad.