Goliath blondi's

CrotchGremlin

Arachnopeon
I Understand that Goliath blondi's Itch & they also bite
disregarding those to facts
Im Curious to know how many of you people hold your Goliath blondi's by bare hand

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some people are more sensitive to the urticating hairs than others. I know a guy who can't go near them because they bother his nose and throat. I'm sure they affect EVERYONE one way or another, just to different extents.

Btw, love that title, "goliath blondis" hahah.. :) It's Theraphosa blondi, or Goliath Birdeater.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea i wouldnt recommend free handling them unless absolutley necessary. They are really bad hairs, can spread throughout your whole body sometimes

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if we are talkin about an adult blondi... then not only can the hairs theoretically blind you if you get a facefull. they also have more than an inch of fang to drive into your flesh.. and on the side of the T.blondis well being. seeing as they are the heaviest bodied tarantula a fall of any kind would be almost surely fatal for your spider. I just dont see why you would want to handle it. mind you involuntary handlings are known to happen on occasion :p nice name BTW made me think of something else.. except that one was a goblin..

CrotchGremlin

Arachnopeon
the Itching hairs done affect me in the slighest, Im not Sure why but they dont. I have a female rose haired tarantula & Surprisingly Shes never bit me, Iv had her for about 3 years, Summer time She went everywhere with me, depending On the weather. 2 tarantulas Im for Sure Getting is the
Cobalt blue / Goliath blondi, both are Considered very aggressive.
Gotta Get bitten Some time ehh!
Im Very picky On tarantulas,
aggressive Or nonAggressive anyone have any Good Recommendations for me to Get?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Plus with urticating hairs the thing you have to remember is its a progression....... you may have had one T kick hairs at you and had no effects at all, but over time your reaction will become full blown just like me. In the beginning I had no reaction to any species..... now M Robustum and B Smithi and Blondi really really get to me..... I have gloves and tongs.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cobalts are pet holes. Some people like them but personally i've kept away from them as I like to see my T's. ;)

You can also develop a reaction to the hairs over time. This has happened to more then a few people.

I'm not sure i'd say either of those T's is 'aggressive' but perhaps defensive.

Rosies aren't known for being aggro either...she probably wouldn't bite you. A cobalt is a totally different ballpark....and so is the Blondie probably.

If you want something that gets pretty big and is 'in general' something you can handle i'd go with a G. aureostriata. They are a good starter T and great T's all around! Personally i'm not big on handling...but i'd prefer doing it with a Chaco over a Blondi. :p

~Fred

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and if you want something big and aggressive i would say L. Parahybana over blondi. They are big and aggressive with bad hairs, but not quite as aggressive (or defensive is the right word) as a blondi, and the hairs arent quite as bad.

Also sayin your rosie went everywhere with you means you were carrying it around which is a very bad idea. Unless you crawled on the ground everywhere if the T fell it could die.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Keep in mind there are like 6 different types of T hairs that different species can chuck at you. You might be OK with Rosie hairs, but the other 5 types who knows ? Some are more nasty than others.

mischaaussems

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It even itches like hell when I remove a cast skin of my blondi. I'm not keen on handling either but if you can't resist a blondi is not the best spider to freehandle. My green bottle bleu is not aggressive at all.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the T. blondi hars are unrticating setae type V if i remember they're the most penetrating.like fibreglass particles..
I have had my first theraphosa for years, stilll havent succombed to the itchiness.currently have 5 T. apophysis, and 4 T. blondi.. only once have i freehandled an adult.and only because he ran onto me. Its not a habit il make.. but im completely cool and chilled about it when it does happen. One occasion i actually woke up thinking i had meningitis. i woke with red blotches all over my body..lol wen to the docs and turned out, as i suspected, to be where i removed the exuvium the previous night! hehe.
The hairs are powerful. I find rubbing aloe vera flesh onto the irritated skin alleviates some of the itch

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, I don't hold mine, not because its aggressive, but because it is very skittish and very fast. Mine does not attack but is nervy and will throw threat poses at its water dish when I add water.

Herp_girl

Arachnopeon
my first T is a blondi...she's skittish but GORGEOUS. She shed for the first time (with me) 16th March, when I took out her old skin she flicked SO many hairs. I had rubber gloves and long sleeves on (I wear glasses so my eyes have some protection). I swallowed some hairs (cue tickly throat and coughing) and my neck also got some. I took an antihistamine and drank loads of water and I was fine by the next morning, it wasn't anything more than mildly irritating. Having said that, my skin doesn't tend to be sensitive to anything.
I would not risk handling her. Having seen her try to grab my cleaning spoon (old spoon taped to a plant stick) out of my hands I do not want to risk that being my finger!

Crazyspidergirl

Arachnopeon
my dad did try to hold mine but she ran onto his bak and i had to get a big fast agresiv spider off his bak. Neva gonna let him hold her again :)! i also cleaned her out and completely killed my hands cus she lined her burrow wid her hair and it hurt alot (i only realised y they hurt once id cleand her out). Mine is mean, she will dart forward and hiss if u touche her once with a paint brush, twice and she'll rear up at you!

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know where i can buy a T blondi from thats between 1.25" - 3" all the ones i see are adults and cost two arms and 3 legs.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest you not get either if all you are looking for is to hold a 12 in T for

1. they rarely get 12in
2. takes a long time to get that big
3. to care for a cobalts right you will rarely see them

Get a pink toe you will enjoy them more
I just want a T blondi because they look nice..I'm not worring about how long it takes them to get big..and where you get cobalt blue from?....that didn't even answer my question...:embarrassed:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
For a cobalt blue, I know the petco in Burlington had one for $79, which about twice what you should pay for an adult female. (its a pet hole not really worth it in my opinion).

Cold Blooded pets in Acushnet,MA has one. If you wait a couple of weeks there is the Reptile Expo in Manchester, MA (if youdon't have a car there is a bus from South Station that stops about 2 blocks from the expo center) There you may be able to find most of the ts your looking for.