Going to an expo, what kinda Ts to expect?

Ehliza

Arachnopeon
Hey all! Saturday I'm heading to a nearby reptile expo. Its not huge, but it's definitely not small. I'm wondering what species of Ts they often sell at expos, and which species would be good to buy. I'm a newbie with a bit of experience, proud parent of an A geni sling. I've heard that lots of times they give away freebies with purchases, such as LPs. Just wondering what kind of variety to expect, even though every place is different. Thanks:)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If no one has an healthy Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) for sale at an "humble Priest/Adept price" then mark my words: it's not a serious expo :-s

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just wondering what kind of variety to expect, even though every place is different.
I've always seen a pretty good assortment of tarantulas at the local Repticon, everything from good starter species to OW arboreals.

What to do/expect:
  • Bring a list of species that interest you if you can't remember all the scientific names.
  • Look for scientific names. (With common names, you're never really sure what you're getting.)
  • Bring cash. Some vendors may accept credit cards, but cash is king.
  • Try to haggle. Many are willing to accept a lower price than what's on the sticker, especially if you are purchasing more than one. (After all, they'd rather sell tarantulas than pack them up and bring them back.)
  • Stock up on supplies and feeder insects. These expos are a great place to find good prices on accessories.
  • Get the vendor's card or information when you make a purchase.

Ehliza

Arachnopeon
If no one has an healthy Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) for sale at an "humble Priest/Adept price" then mark my words: it's not a serious expo :-s
Oh geez:wideyed:. Even if they did have one, I don't know if I'd be up for getting it:p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the show is spread over 2 days, buy on the second day. Vendors are always giving better deals on the last day so they have less to pack.

creepa

Arachnoknight
You sir ar a bad bad priest...!:troll:
Queens shouldnt be for sale but..., they should be put up for adoption.:rolleyes:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Is this the Taylor show your going to? If I remember correctly it's close to a bowling ally I think its directly adjacent to it or behind it..
If it's that one I used to work it alot and back then there were usually 3 really good invert guys.. One did mainly Mantids and phasmids etc.. Another had a good mix of Mantids,Tarantulas and feeder roaches and the last guy deals heavily in imported Tarantulas. I have seen alot of mislabeled stuff on his tables but if you know what the species is you want and can identify them correctly his table is great for good deals.. At one point he had about fifty juvie to adult G.sp.concepcion listed as G.rosea for $20... Overall though as I remeber alot of booths had at least a few Tarantulas to choose from..

It's been close to five years since I did any shows in that area so alot may have changed but back then it was one of my favorite shows to attend.. Great prices great variety and despite being close to so many horrible neighborhoods alot of really cool people..

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I went to a Reptile show recently, and it was pretty disappointing. There were four T vendors there, and three of them used common names only. Most of the selection was also pretty poor, and some things were laughably overpriced. It's almost like going to a convention for baseball cards...you should have a ball-park idea of how much each item is worth. They may be priced a bit higher, since you don't have to pay for shipping, but don't get ripped off. I immediately gravitated to the one vendor who was using scientific names (Net-Bug.) She also had the best selection by a long shot.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You sir ar a bad bad priest...!:troll:
Queens shouldnt be for sale but..., they should be put up for adoption.:rolleyes:
Sciocchezze, corbellerie, dabbenaggini :pompous:

I'm the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) humble Priest, and I serve the Goddess the right way, but don't blame this poor devoted because we are living in a corrupted, immoral, materialist world where vulgar cash is more important than the Hissing Religion of Peace :angelic:

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Last weekend I went to my first show ever and was pleasantly surprised by the variety they had on offer. Sadly all of them were being sold by the common name, but the selection was pretty great. Felt like a kid in a candy shop. P. Muticus (PBUH and my first old world. Got it at the show I went too), P. Murinus, P. Metallica, C. Darlingi, H. Gigas, P. Cancerides, C. Cyans, A. Genics, B. Smithi (hamorii), the list goes on. I guess it really depends on the vendors that will be there, but that selection was from 2 vendors and I know there were at least 2 more.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If the show is spread over 2 days, buy on the second day. Vendors are always giving better deals on the last day so they have less to pack.
I agree completely unless there is something harder to come by that you really want. Nothing is worse than seeing a species you been looking all over for only to come back later to find it's been sold.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree completely unless there is something harder to come by that you really want. Nothing is worse than seeing a species you been looking all over for only to come back later to find it's been sold.
I always take that risk, nothing I have bought wasn't available later ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I want what I want now. Not next year. :D
I'm patient. Ever since Kelly Swift showed me P. metallica in person, he's the first person to hatch them out in the USA- back then $400/sling, I've waited for them to drop in price. I'm still waiting. That was well over 11 years ago.

I did the same thing with Pieds too. It was a 5 figure snake. I waited about 13-15 yrs for them to be affordable for me.