Gnats!

Joodafoo

Arachnopeon
So i've been having a problem with gnats flying around in the tank. Everytime i open the top to let them out i find more in a day or so. What could be the reason and is there a good way to remedy this problem without having to empty and clean a 10gal tank full of rocks water and peat in which a female and 8 slings have comfortably burrowed into?

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So i've been having a problem with gnats flying around in the tank. Everytime i open the top to let them out i find more in a day or so. What could be the reason and is there a good way to remedy this problem without having to empty and clean a 10gal tank full of rocks water and peat in which a female and 8 slings have comfortably burrowed into?

Maybe the peatmoss is to wet and its attracting them?? :? I had nats real bad one time and i think it was because of the damp peatmoss!!

Joodafoo

Arachnopeon
Well theres definately damp peat moss in there, but as long as theyre not bad for the scorps and as long as theyre not breeding in there, then i wont worry too much.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they're really bothersome, you could try getting a carnivorous plant. The gnats in my apartment seem drawn to the Asian pitcher plants and sundews nearby the zoo area.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So i've been having a problem with gnats flying around in the tank. Everytime i open the top to let them out i find more in a day or so
That's probably because there are eggs in your peat moss.
If the "gnats" are the small quick moving flies that like to crawl in sharp jerks over the substrate rather than fly about then that is because you have leftover food items that are attracting them. These are carrion flies and they will feed, mate and lay eggs in the decomposing leftovers.
The only way i've been able to get rid of these is a complete clean out, both in the terrariums and my arachnoroom (although i haven't tried a fly eating plant!) and then adopting a tighter "clean up after meal" regime afterwards.

However if it's the smaller, darker coloured flies that like to fly around a lot then they will be there because they want to lay their eggs in the warm, damp substrate.
Removing your critters and then totally drying out the terrarium is also the only sure fire way i've been able to get rid of these .. although i still haven't tried the predator plant!.

One constant that does run the rounds though is that once they are first there and your enviromental conditions don't change, then the more numerous these flies will be.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmm . . . if it's the ones that eat leftover food items, you may try introducing some isopods to the tank. I hear they work wonders (though I've never tried them yet . . . I just may have to! :)).

Sorry if I seem weird, but I love my carnivorous plants. :D Every time I look in the traps there's always a bunch of gnats slowly decomposing and being digested in there. {D