Giants of Trinidad?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard of a giant specie of Scolopendra in Trinidad and I've seen a pic of one the must have been at least 3inches wide. Any truth behind this. And if so why the hell don't I have 3?

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Bigboy said:
I've heard of a giant specie of Scolopendra in Trinidad and I've seen a pic of one the must have been at least 3inches wide. Any truth behind this. And if so why the hell don't I have 3?
Pics? Links?? Anything????
T

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrummorsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
see, it's my rummer is wider than 3 inches

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Judging the size of a pede by a picture is extrememly difficult at best, if not impossible, and nearly always ends up with massive overestimation of the size. I think there are some large pedes in Trinidad (S. viridicornis?), but no larger than the big S. gigantea that are around in the hobby.

Cheers,

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know...I saw some centipedes in the trade back in like '97 or '98 that were supposedly from "an island near Trinidad" that dwarfed the S. gigantea that were commonly available at the time.

3" wide may be pushing it, but when you figure in the body plus the length of the legs, 3" wouldn't be too far off.

Wade

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Indeed. The one I saw in person at a reptile show (and annother when I was on a job interview at the National Aquarium in Baltimore) looked much like that pic.

Wade

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is such an awsome pic...I want that beast!

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that thing is bad. i'd love to have something like that. the biggest pede i've ever seen was about 2" long (in the wild, never seen them at stores).

i'd pay some pretty good money for something that size.

Buggin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That pede in the picture is nowhere near 3 inches wide.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think body plus legs, like Wade mentioned, that, yes, it's possible for that pede to be 3" wide. Obviously, the body alone is not 3" wide.

Wonder what it eats?!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
I think body plus legs, like Wade mentioned, that, yes, it's possible for that pede to be 3" wide. Obviously, the body alone 3" wide.Wonder what it eats?![/QUOTE PUPPPIES ofcourse :eek: {D {D ;P ;

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i had one of those monsters back in 1995,it got pretty big,it was still growing too,then i sold it :wall: back then they were very common,i didn"t think at that time they would close that country for import/export :( well......mabe someday again :rolleyes:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You had one? Do you remember what it was called, common or, better yet, scientific names?

So, it ate puppies, eh?! ;) :}

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah,back then when they were availible they were calling them "giant black centipedes from trinidad" they did not know much about them,i believe they are scolopendra virdicornis,but not sure,it was very hardy didn't have to be really humid either and grew like a weed :eek: very awesome pede! and oh yeah it ate anything i put in with it,can't believe we can't get them :wall: ahhh maybe someday. :rolleyes: