"Giant Zebra Leg"?

Damnathius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For the past few months my LPS has had this massive spider, and she calls it a "Giant Zebra Leg". It is very heavy bodied, black, and I would guess that the span would be 9" splayed out. Just sitting there with it's legs semi drawn in, it is an easy 6 1/2". Body length is probably 4".

It is certainly not a blondi, but I have not been able to find any info on "Giant Zebra Leg". She's asking $250.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Dave

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Could it be a Lasiodorides striatus? I have seen these for sale as "Goliath stripeknee" and "Giant stripeleg". I personally have never seen a 9" specimen, but I do have a 7" female.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Damnathius
For the past few months my LPS has had this massive spider, and she calls it a "Giant Zebra Leg". It is very heavy bodied, black, and I would guess that the span would be 9" splayed out. Just sitting there with it's legs semi drawn in, it is an easy 6 1/2". Body length is probably 4".

It is certainly not a blondi, but I have not been able to find any info on "Giant Zebra Leg". She's asking $250.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Dave
I think it' a good idea to avoid buying from the local pet stores
if they don't know the scientific names of what they are selling. Also, if it IS a L. striatus, I don't think it's worth $250. (I also have
an L. striatus that is in the 6.5 to 7 inch neighborhood. She is
a beauty and she's even pretty docile, though I do not intentionally handle her. The only time I "handled" her was when she decided to climb out of the shipping container onto my chest as I was upacking her). :)

Wysi

Damnathius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JP, it looks very similar to L. striatus, but the markings are not so bold on the legs.

Wysi, I don't place much weight in what the LPS owner says the spiders are, but she is more often than not on the mark in regards to common names.

This is why I ask questions. :) She often gets in some nice looking Ts, and I'm the kind of person that likes to see what I'm getting, so it suits me to look, do a little research and make the purchase.

I actually wasn't going to fork over $250 for that one, even though it's a beauty, but was looking for a more reasonable market price to perhaps make an offer.

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited: