Giant Tanzanian Pill Millipedes

ScienceDvia

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have an overabundance of these? I purchased two earlier this year and they are thriving but expensive. I'd like a colony, my students think they are so cool. Please let me know. Make me an offer!

ScienceDiva

P.S. These are the orange ones.

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
breeding fact

To date, the giant tanzanian pillbugs have not been bred in captivity. There is scientific information to support that it may be a temperature-related cause. Keep us posted if you hit the holy grail and are able to successfully breed them.

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I posted in an older thread regarding this species, and I am interested in taking a run at captive breeding with this species. I know that very few have had luck with it, and that excites/interests me. If anyone has any information regarding the region on Tsanzania these are collected in, or their natural habitat, I'd love to hear it. Also, is there any documentation on the prior breeding attempts people have made out there?

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
arnt they they ones that die in like 3 months because of stomach bacteria missing?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
arnt they they ones that die in like 3 months because of stomach bacteria missing?
no ,these are alot more hardier they do very well,can live up to 2yrs,the delicate ones your talking about are the giant madagascar green sp.

ScienceDvia

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks,

I've found some pill bugs. These are the Tanzanian Pill bugs, not the Madagazcar pill bugs. I'm a Diva, not a Goddess! No miracles here, just good habitats.

ScienceDiva

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
from what i've read on pillbugs the tanzanian's seem to be the hardiest. though if you maintain strict control of the climate within their enclosure, i've read some reports of the green madagasans lasting upwards of 18months too. None of them appear to breed in captivity well at all. With a few reports of successful breeding, none really being confirmed, just friend of a friend type stories. I'm sure someone has gotten lucky a few times, but the information regarding the rearingof these species in captivity for the pet trade is still spread pretty thin. More and more people seem to be experimenting with the idea though, and if I could learn more about the habitat they come from and i could setup some controls in the breeding experiment I'd like to go ahead and join them. hopefully one day we can all discover the trick to keeping these interesting little creatures safely in captivity.