Giant Red Baboon - Any suggestions?

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was out doing some Father's Day tarantula shopping and came across a tarantula labeled "Giant Red Baboon tarantula" for $9.99.
Needless to say, I purchased it. I was figuring it might be H. gigas. It is about 2.5 inches and a very healthy specimen.
Any thoughts on what it might be from the name?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Judging by some of the common names that I've seen, it could be anything from C. crawshayi to Homo sapiens, but I would probably guess H. gigas.

Trusnowryder

Arachnopeon
I'll bet that it is probably not an H.gigas for the simple fact that any true H.gigas is pretty hard to find. Most H.gigas that are sold in the pet trade are actually in fact H.crassipes (Cameroon Brown Baboon). Does the T have long, bow-legged hind legs? If so, it is probably an H.crassipes. You should post a pic and then we could probably get a better idea of what it could be. Good luck :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I bought my H. gigas as a Cameroon Red Baboon.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. gigas

True, the vast majority of H. gigas sold are actually H. crassipes
as are H. hercules.

N-Joy
Art

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I appreciate all the input. I still haven't been able to get a good picture, she dug a burrow and spends a majority of the daylight hours down it.
I did manage to get a good look at her hind legs and they are a bit bowed. Perhaps she is H. crassipes? She is mostly redish brown though. Now I'm confused.
I will try to get a pic this weekend.
Ralph