Giant pond bugs

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does anyone know which is the species that lays its ova on the surface of the male?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Belostomatidae, I think you mean?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pretty sure thats the ones yeah, is it the whole family or just one particular species?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Abedus & Lethocerus for sure, not sure about the rest of the genera, but I think for the most part Belostomatids are paternal when it comes to care of the young.

Just for fun, some shotty images:

Lethocerus sp.

Ranatra sp.

Abedus sp. at San Diego Zoo

Lolita

Arachnoknight
wow i didn't know people knew too much about them we called them water scorpians when i was a kid and would randomly catch them in florida

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
It's not the whole family. And I'm pretty sure Lethocerus lays eggs on aquatic vegetation zonbon...
You're right, Scotty. Posting hastily & intermingling genera without forethought again, my apologies. Lethocerus males look after the eggs though, right?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lethocercus lay eggs on emergent-not aquatic-vegetation. They are defended by the male.

Abedus lay eggs on the backs of the males-as well as the smaller but similar Belostoma.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're right, Scotty. Posting hastily & intermingling genera without forethought again, my apologies. Lethocerus males look after the eggs though, right?
Hey no need to be sorry! People make mistakes. We're all here to help each other, not to flame. Sorry if I came off as harsh.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Not at all, Scotty...thanks for the correction.:) I wouldn't want somebody's captives to die out because I gave out bad info.