Giant Coconut Crabs - availability?

Bobby Ignoti

Arachnopeon
I'm looking for the Giant Coconut crabs typical of the Pacific and Indian Ocean islands. Does anybody know of a source for obtaining these? Thanks.

Todd
I'm in Papua new guinea I have lote of coconut crab in my Province and looking for buyer giant coconut crab many many more .this is the samples. My phone # +675 70722442

Attachments

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Do you have an export permit? Will your government give your a permit to export them as they are normally a protected species in several countries? CITES II listing I believe?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
And I thought giant stick insects and giant tarantulas (and giant mantis shrimps) were it.

Emperor Scorp

Arachnopeon
I'm in Papua new guinea I have lote of coconut crab in my Province and looking for buyer giant coconut crab many many more .this is the samples. My phone # +675 70722442
Would you be able to ship to the US? I would like a few, maybe.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Birgus Latro are severely restricted as to where they can be shipped, live, dead or in parts. Check your local and government regulations.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Would you be able to ship to the US? I would like a few, maybe.
With regulations slightly lifting on the goliath beetles here in the US, I would guess that they are banned. I have no idea though. Do you plan on eating them, or caring for them?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I'd get coconut crabs... would be a challenge to house them... a nice colony of hermits is like 75 gallons needed for a few adults, imagine upsizing that by like a lot, I'd imagine they need like a 300 gallon tub for saltwater (breeding could work in a large tank like that) along with an enclosure the size of a bedroom.... legit

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
With regulations slightly lifting on the goliath beetles here in the US, I would guess that they are banned. I have no idea though. Do you plan on eating them, or caring for them?
I can imagine it would take an elaborate set up to care for these.

Emperor Scorp

Arachnopeon
I know of some in Germany who use an entire greenhouse. I just so happen to have access to one if I was able to acquire some. I just wanna walk a crab on a leash lol but in all seriousness what's the regulations? I cannot find anything. I'm in Maryland btw

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I know of some in Germany who use an entire greenhouse. I just so happen to have access to one if I was able to acquire some. I just wanna walk a crab on a leash lol but in all seriousness what's the regulations? I cannot find anything. I'm in Maryland btw
Just out of curiosity, what's your source? I don't plan on getting one, since I'd like to keep my fingers, but they seem very hard to find atm, especially for someone in the US with all of our crazy invert restrictions.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was always bewildered you can't at least see them in ZOOS. You'd think they'd be a major attraction.

Emperor Scorp

Arachnopeon
Just out of curiosity, what's your source? I don't plan on getting one, since I'd like to keep my fingers, but they seem very hard to find atm, especially for someone in the US with all of our crazy invert restrictions.
You misunderstood because the way I worded it was horrible lol I meant I have access to a greenhouse currently that I would buy if I could find some of the crabs.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
You underestimate how much the general population hates arthropods.
There's no shortage of zoos with arthropod exhibits, not to mention aquariums with tons of crustaceans and other invertebrates. And crabs are some of the most socially acceptable arthropods besides butterflies- after all, people eat them in recognizable form.