Giant centipede in FL?

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heard a rumor that there is a huge species of centipede in FL... larger than s. heros. I kind of highly doubt this, except for the possibility of someone's pet escaping and starting a thriving local population. Has anyone heard anything?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I heard a rumor that there is a huge species of centipede in FL... larger than s. heros. I kind of highly doubt this, except for the possibility of someone's pet escaping and starting a thriving local population. Has anyone heard anything?
Probably lives in the same place as the Goatman and Bigfoot :p

On a serious note though I have not heard of any huge species of centipedes being confirmed in North America definitively.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Probably Scolopendra alternans since they are found in some parts of florida and get pretty big though they typically max around 5-6 inches average I have still a few seen pics of confirmed 8 inch specimens from both the florida keys and haitian populations so on rare occasion they can get pretty big, though I wouldn't say bigger than S. heros.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Also, S. h. castaneiceps changes from black to brown when they get really big. So perhaps the centipede in question was a large Heros castaneiceps that wasn't recognised as a heros due to the unfamiliar coloration. Then, of course, it only takes a little fear or desire for attention to increase the size a little more.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Probably lives in the same place as the Goatman and Bigfoot :p

On a serious note though I have not heard of any huge species of centipedes being confirmed in North America definitively.
You're joking. Scolopendra heros can get very large (arizonensis, especially).

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have measured S. heros at 8" BL but I think i have seen them up to 10" BL. That's pretty large! Still nothing like some of the tropical species.