giant african millie egg?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found these in a fecal pellet of my 'pedes, but never any babies, so I'm not sure. They look egg-like to me, anyway.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
has any one acualy ever bred the millies befor??
i hear of ppl seeing thears breed all the time, but never of any babies:S
wahts the deal with this.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of people successfully get babies -- it just takes a long time, and they never come if conditions aren't right. They're also really tiny when they first hatch, they're white, and they only have three pairs of legs. People say they stay underground for a long time, too.

And if eggs are in the soil, you lose any progress you may have had if you do a substrate-change.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Babies- When they first appeared on the surface they were light gray to white and only about 1/4" long. The larger one is from a batch that appeared in Oct, and the others around Jan.

I have never seen the eggs, but they would be deep in the substrate. I would be afraid to tear up the tank in fear of harming them.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wicked-how is your substrate?
My tank was setup for live plants so there is a two inch layer of aquarium gravel with a seven inch layer (it has settled to about 5) of peat moss mixed with aspen shavings. I topped it with a layer of dead oak leaves and rotten cotton wood. Very shallow water dish in one corner that I overflow now and then.
They mated all the time, but no babies for a year and a half. Then I had a plexiglass lid made for the tank. The humidity and the temp rose dramatically from room temps because of the rotting material I think. Within a month of adding the lid I started seeing babies.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i gout about 3-4 inches of jungle earth and the coco fiber and peat mosse all mixed up together.
i mist mostly daylie
any tips on the right condistion i whould realy apreaseate

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like you've got it pretty good, Spider-Man; just add some rotting hardwood. I'd also lean more towards coco fiber and peat than the jungle earth (if that's the stuff that's nothing more than fancy bark chips, as I recall).

I'd also suggest using a spellchecker. :cool:

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i only add a lil bit,
its like 90% coco fiber, 8% petmoss and only a lil jungle earth just for looks.
i allso have some big piles of moss.