GGGGGRRRRRRRRRrrrrr!!! dang crickets...

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was down to one cricket left last night so i thought i would throw it in for my rose hair to munch.......it was a fat (possibly gravid) female cricket.....of course my spider wasnt interested right away...must be an adult male thing.....
but i went back about 30 minutes later and the dang cricket had dug a pit next to the water dish and had its rear end firmly planted into the substrate.......i can only imagine one thing it might have been doing....
this morning there was no trace of cricket so i guess the spider must have ate it....but i fully expect to see some pinheads hatch out in there again sometime......what is the gestation time for cricket eggs? (so i know when to start looking closely at the substrate..those pinheads are hard to see on 100% verm)

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it makes you feel better, the eggs will only hatch if the substrate is kept damp...I've seen crickets lay eggs in my rosehair's cage lots of times, but since the substrate in there is really dry (she has a filled water dish, of course) nothing ever comes of the eggs.

JOANIE

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hate when that happens too. Gestation period is 1-2 weeks depending on temp.
Mike

Tupac Shakur

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like it when they hatch cause then there are millions of little cute baby crickets everywhere. Except they all drown.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! Yeah that is cute, especially when the thousands of cute li'l crickets kill your T.

Atrax

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm...i get alot of those dang baby crix...

Is there any chance they are bothering the Ts ?

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes they do annoy the spider. Those little suckers can also be viscious when hungry and can attack the T. I'd get them out of any T cages you have immediatly.

Mike

Tupac Shakur

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when pinheads hatch in my tanks i just think of it as free food for the tiniest of my spiderlings.
Tom

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes! At the least, they stress your T. At the worst, especially if your T has recently molted, they can kill your T.

Atrax

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wasnt aware you had to keep the substrate moist.....
i guess thats why this cricket dug the pit right where i had overfilled the water dish in the wet/moist substrate.....

i have another cricket project going in a bucket with a little bit of vermiculite...i put two females and one male in there after i caught them mating a week or two ago (different thread previously posted about this)...the biggest female looked to be gravid and now she doesnt......so i assumed she layed the eggs somewhere in the bucket.....but i havent been keeping the substrate moist.....ive been keeping it VERY humid in the bucket (condensation forms on the sides of the bucket)......wonder if the eggs will ever hatch......i am wanting to try and get some pinheads to feed the curlies....it would be a heckuva lot easier than chopping up nasty stinky large crickets....

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to have the worst problems with pinhead crickets all over the place then I had an epiphany and I quit buying adult crickets now I only by prewing and barely ever have that problem anymore;)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i usually try to get crickets at about 1/2" for the slings but the petstore only had larger crickets last two visits.......she is supposed to be getting some smaller ones in this week......
i think the smaller crickets dont stink as bad either......