Getting tough pictures.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Other than random luck, how do you folks get your more reclusive specimens out for photos? I Had all the lights off, and tossed a crickert in with my C. fimbriatus, and in about 10 minutes, it came out and nabbed it. I shot the pic, but I think I got nothing but reflection off the tank :/

Do you just wait and chance the good photo op, or what?

Bill

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Other than random luck, how do you folks get your more reclusive specimens out for photos? I Had all the lights off, and tossed a crickert in with my C. fimbriatus, and in about 10 minutes, it came out and nabbed it. I shot the pic, but I think I got nothing but reflection off the tank :/

Do you just wait and chance the good photo op, or what?

Bill
I think a lot of it is just being ready to grab the shot when it appears. I'm fortunate in that I work at home, so am often able to catch things like molts, or males making sperm webs.

It's really tough to shoot through glass, though. Now and then I get a decent picture that way, but not usually. Overall, I think it's better to leave the lid off, wait for your opportunity, and shoot from above.

Joy

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my photo strategy...

Personally on the reclusive ones I tend to just use a pair of tweezers and a lot of patience. When I have enough space cleared out to do so I sometimes move them from their container to a piece of wood on a stand so that they can't really get out of view. Granted it doesn't work every time but most of the time it works fine.

Phil

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I generally try to wait and see what I can get. Either that, or I try to tease them out into view with a cricket or whatever I'm feeding at the time. There have been a couple that I've actually dragged a bit by keeping a good grip on the cricket in the tweezers while the T was also keeping a good grip. :)

Most of all, I think it's just luck when I find one in a good position for a shot...

Scott