Getting My First Tarantula

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. My name is Jessica. I've been wanting a tarantula for awhile now. I just got done ordering my first two. I got a 1" Brachypelma hamorii and a 1/4" Nhandu chromatus. I got them both from Fear Not Tarantulas, which I've heard a lot of good things about. I'm a little nervous about having such small Ts though. I'm working on setting up habitats now, but I'm not terribly sure how big of a habitat I should use. Would one of those 16oz deli cups work for both of them or should I go a little bigger. I've never seen a sling in person so I'm having difficulty gauging the proper size. I know they're both terrestrial so I don't need anything super tall. Anyone have tips?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I use deli cups with holes poked in them but there is a few people on here use the Ferrero Roche tubs they look pretty cool and will be an ideal size for you're slings atm. @Thekla I'm sure you use them?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
The 16oz deli cup would be ok for the B. hamorii but it would be much too large for the N. chromatus. I would set it up in a 2 oz deli cup. My chromatus was 1/4" when I got it and it was so tiny that when I went to unpack it I thought they forgot to put the spider in the vial. You will be surprised at how small it is.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
These are what I generally use for terrestrial slings (AAA battery for scale), anything smaller than 2cm DLS goes in the smaller one.

sling enclosures.jpg

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
As Grym stated, small condiment cups are best for those size slings. If this is your first tarantulas, they will be smaller than what you are expecting(or thats how my first one was) one inch will be diagonal leg span so likely the body will he half of that. You can find 5oz. Snack cups at walmart. For cheap. Poke holes with a thumb tack around the side and on the lid, add a hide, water bottle cap for water and some eco earth and your good to go. Pictured is a 5 oz. codiment or snack cup.
3EE53115-0043-4BFE-BC3E-DFCE9EA8713D.jpeg 13318061-96EE-48E0-8B10-E5F857CFF3A2.jpeg

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Wow... Those are really small. I'm sure I can find something that small at Walmart right? I want to quickly go over the stuff I need if that's okay. I hate using care sheets off the internet. I have sphagnum moss and coconut fiber for already, but maybe I should get an organic soil instead? I know coconut fiber molds easily and I don't want to wreck their webs to change the substrate. I have some bark that I snapped off a tree and baked for hides. I need to pick up a bottle, I'm thinking a squeeze bottle because I heard the spray ones can spook slings. As for food, I have a huge dubia colony, but I think the nymphs might still be to big for them. I can do pinheads, but I loathe crickets. So I was thinking maybe some kind of maggot. Phoenix worms or wax worms maybe? They're really soft and not likely to hurt the slings at all. If that's to big for the N. chromatus I can do flightless fruit flies. And what about water dishes for slings? Are they not really necessary as long as I keep them damp? I heard someone say to cut a golf tee and press it into the dirt, but that kind of seems silly. It wouldn't hold much. Sorry for all the questions, I like to load up on all the information possible when I get a new animal. Drives my boyfriend nuts lol.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Wow... Those are really small. I'm sure I can find something that small at Walmart right? I want to quickly go over the stuff I need if that's okay. I hate using care sheets off the internet. I have sphagnum moss and coconut fiber for already, but maybe I should get an organic soil instead? I know coconut fiber molds easily and I don't want to wreck their webs to change the substrate. I have some bark that I snapped off a tree and baked for hides. I need to pick up a bottle, I'm thinking a squeeze bottle because I heard the spray ones can spook slings. As for food, I have a huge dubia colony, but I think the nymphs might still be to big for them. I can do pinheads, but I loathe crickets. So I was thinking maybe some kind of maggot. Phoenix worms or wax worms maybe? They're really soft and not likely to hurt the slings at all. If that's to big for the N. chromatus I can do flightless fruit flies. And what about water dishes for slings? Are they not really necessary as long as I keep them damp? I heard someone say to cut a golf tee and press it into the dirt, but that kind of seems silly. It wouldn't hold much. Sorry for all the questions, I like to load up on all the information possible when I get a new animal. Drives my boyfriend nuts lol.
No need to apologize. It is good to be prepared. You can cut up the roaches and feed the pieces to tarantulas. When they are very small they do not need waterdish. You really do not ever have to change out substrate. Mold is harmless.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
I knew they're small, but that's kind of scary. I'm probably going to do all of my stuff inside my 20 gal tank, on the off chance they bolt. I'm super nervous but also really excited. Wait, mold won't hurt them? That's kind of amazing to me. I have roughly 8 tropical reptiles and mold is my worst enemy. It would be nice to not worry about it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Exo earth is coco fiber. Thats all I use, I never had a mold issue with it. I even use it for pacman frogs and it stays wet all the time and still no mold.

Also, as for wood. There are options but I use cork bark, you can get a small piece that will go a long way from petco or a local pet store. Cork bark, imo, is the best option.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Wonderful! So I have a couple of things that I don't quite understand. 1. What on earth is a 'true' spider? And what's the difference between old world and new world Ts?

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
Coconut fiber will only mold if it’s too wet with not enough ventilation

Wonderful! So I have a couple of things that I don't quite understand. 1. What on earth is a 'true' spider? And what's the difference between old world and new world Ts?
True spiders are normal small spiders such as a house spiders all tarantulas are spiders but not all spiders are tarantulas. New world Ts are from North America with less harmful venom back also kick hairs. Old world Ts are more venomous and don’t kick hairs but they are more aggressive hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
new world is anything from North or south america. Old world is Africa Asia Europe. True spiders are just other spiders not including tarantulas

Old world species tend to be more aggressive and have medically significant bites as this is there only defense compared to new worlds where nearly all have urticating hairs and tend to use this as there source of defence. so Old worlds are not for beginners

True spiders are normal small spiders such as a house spiders all tarantulas are spiders but not all spiders are tarantulas.
Isn't the largest spider in the world a true spider? Heteropoda maxima

Last edited by a moderator:

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure I just keep hearing it in youtube videos and stuff, but I'm not sure what it means.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I'm not sure I just keep hearing it in youtube videos and stuff, but I'm not sure what it means.
A true spider Is any spider that is not a tarantula they don't have to be small. Since you're new I would recommend just sticking to new world tarantulas, when the time comes and you want to move to old world there are a few new world species that tend to bridge the gap between New and old like the psalmopeous cambrigei it's a new world but has the characteristics of old world Ts so helps you get used to the blazingly fast speed of old worlds

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
A true spider Is any spider that is not a tarantula they don't have to be small. Since you're new I would recommend just sticking to new world tarantulas, when the time comes and you want to move to old world there are a few new world species that tend to bridge the gap between New and old like the psalmopeous cambrigei it's a new world but has the characteristics of old world Ts so helps you get used to the blazingly fast speed of old worlds
I think true spiders have the over all longest leg span but compared to body size and weight I’m sure Ts are the biggest but again I’m no expert in true spiders

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I think true spiders have the over all longest leg span but compared to body size and weight I’m sure Ts are the biggest but again I’m no expert in true spiders
Yes tarantulas are bigger bodied and heavier but the largest spider is a true spider Heteropoda maxima the giant huntsman. I was only referring to you saying there small, most are yes but some do get pretty big So that's not really any way to tell if its a true spider or not

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
Yes tarantulas are bigger bodied and heavier but the largest spider is a true spider Heteropoda maxima the giant huntsman. I was only referring to you saying there small, most are yes but some do get pretty big So that's not really any way to tell if its a true spider or not
Lol I wish I could edit post but you are absolutely right I shouldn’t have said they are all small and like you said a true spider (Heteropoda maxima) is actually the biggest of them all which I had no idea thanks for the information!

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
I know B. hamorii is NW, but what about N. chromatus? Those are the two I chose to start with. I wanted to get a Aphonopelma chalcodes(I think that's right), but I could find any for a size or price I was comfortable with for a starter.