Getting my first T

Marika

Arachnoangel
I have lots of inverts but never had a spider, and now it feels like I need my own eight-legged friend. I've been reading a lot about tarantulas, mainly here. At first I was thinking about getting a G. pulchripes but then I fell in love with G. pulchra, they are so adorable. I would love to get a subadult/adult female (if I can find one, that is).

Just want to make sure I got everything right... I'm planning to get a 10 gallon tank, that size should be ok, right? Obviously, if I get a smaller specimen I'll set up a smaller enclosure for it. Several inches of dry substrate (probably coco fiber), no screen top. A piece of cork bark as a hide, a water dish. And keeping it room temp, no additional heat sources. I'm going to feed it dubia roaches. Is it ok if I only feed it dubias, or should I get it something else every now and then, like superworms?

AustralianBirdEater

Arachnopeon
No screen top? Do you mean there wont be a lid on the enclosure? Because no matter what, always have a lid on the enclosure

Marika

Arachnoangel
No screen top? Do you mean there wont be a lid on the enclosure? Because no matter what, always have a lid on the enclosure
No, of course there will be a lid, I know that Ts can climb. I just meant that I know the lid shouldn't be screen/mesh, because tarantulas can get stuck and get injured.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Sounds like you've got the right idea! G. pulchra may be my favorite species ever, you definitely won't regret getting one. Mine is incredibly docile but still a fantastic eater. Don't forget to share photos once you end up getting it. :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Is it ok if I only feed it dubias, or should I get it something else every now and then, like superworms?
Feeding just dubias they work fine though mixing up feeders is ok too. I have a lot of dubias in all sizes available so that's pretty much all I feed. Be sure to crush their heads before leaving them in the enclosure so they don't burrow on you.

The rest of the stuff looks good. If you want us to look over your Ts enclosure post a few photos when you get everything bought and setup.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, I'm not saying is wrong, and everything works at the end, but I suggest you to reconsider the 10 gallon part. That's a very huge enclosure, and T's doesn't need for real that much of a space (IMO not even a genus Theraphosa one) they are "lazy" lovely animals... 100000 times better a "perfect" set up/parameters rather than space per se, IMO.

Consider however that since we aren't talking about an obligate burrower (where height is needed for add lots of necessary substrate inches) you will have to deal with height, therefore you will have to add more substrate for reduce the risks in the unwanted scenario of climb & fall, in the 10 gallon option. But of course do as you want.

For the rest you are right... a piece of cork bark is always of best, btw :-s

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Well, I'm not saying is wrong, and everything works at the end, but I suggest you to reconsider the 10 gallon part. That's a very huge enclosure, and T's doesn't need for real that much of a space (IMO not even a genus Theraphosa one) they are "lazy" lovely animals... 100000 times better a "perfect" set up/parameters rather than space per se, IMO.
Agreed. 5.5 gallon tank (or similar sized container) is probably enough, unless you have an unusually massive G. pulchra.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Agreed. 5.5 gallon tank (or similar sized container) is probably enough, unless you have a massive specimen.
Personally I wouldn't use a 10 gallon not even for a genus Theraphosa, like I've said. Never owned one because I refuse to pay that much for a Theraphosidae (here in Italy genus Theraphosa are incredibly priced, even slings) but I have, and had, not so second in size NW (and OW) T's, like 'Phamps' (in the past) or M.robustum etc

IMO the main and real issue with those 10 gallons is the height... the floor space, while IMO again, mostly will remain not used, is fine... but the last thing someone wants is to witness a pretty slow, chubby, or maybe in pre molt NW T's climbing that. Therefore all the substrate inches that someone will add for reduce that risk will result in a waste of substrate, and nothing else.

This from someone that always said: never be a 'Scrooge' with substrate :-s

I use for those terrestrial NW T's like genus Grammostola or 'Brachy' (mostly rescued for free from 'Sunday morning' keepers that got tired, therefore I can't say "no", because I don't buy anymore those kind of T's from years) is/are enclosure with 30 max 35 cm floor space, 25 depht, max 20 height.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
IMO the main and real issue with those 10 gallons is the height... the floor space, while IMO again, mostly will remain not used, is fine... but the last thing someone wants is to witness a pretty slow, chubby, or maybe in pre molt NW T's climbing that. Therefore all the substrate inches that someone will add for reduce that risk will result in a waste of substrate, and nothing else.
You can minimize this by putting something in the bottom of the tank before adding substrate. Ideally, something light but a bit strong like a small empty box or tupperware container that can take up some of that volume. Then, put 2-3 inches of substrate over top of it. Less substrate wasted, and a lighter tank if you routinely move it to feed/water/clean.

Marika

Arachnoangel
@Chris LXXIX @nicodimus22
Ok, good to know. I was also considering a 5.5 gallon kritter keeper type of enclosure, so maybe I'll go with that. It just looks a bit small, but then again I've never seen a G. pulchra in person, only in pictures and videos :D

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Agreed with what others have said about the size of the enclosure, especially if it's a G. pulchra you're interested in, mine is growing slower than my G. pulchripes.

I've kept my juvenile F in veggie containers like this for the past year. Should be a good size for another molt or two:
Studio Session-052.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
G. pulchra may be my favorite species ever, you definitely won't regret getting one. Mine is incredibly docile but still a fantastic eater. Don't forget to share photos once you end up getting it. :D
Add me to the Grammostola pulchra fan club. My little 3" pulchra is probably my favorite tarantula, personality-wise.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I have lots of inverts but never had a spider, and now it feels like I need my own eight-legged friend. I've been reading a lot about tarantulas, mainly here. At first I was thinking about getting a G. pulchripes but then I fell in love with G. pulchra, they are so adorable. I would love to get a subadult/adult female (if I can find one, that is).

Just want to make sure I got everything right... I'm planning to get a 10 gallon tank, that size should be ok, right? Obviously, if I get a smaller specimen I'll set up a smaller enclosure for it. Several inches of dry substrate (probably coco fiber), no screen top. A piece of cork bark as a hide, a water dish. And keeping it room temp, no additional heat sources. I'm going to feed it dubia roaches. Is it ok if I only feed it dubias, or should I get it something else every now and then, like superworms?
Best beginner species? Pelinobius muticus.
Kappa.
Get a Grammostola pulchripes. They're so pretty and friendly and awesome.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Agreed with what others have said about the size of the enclosure, especially if it's a G. pulchra you're interested in, mine is growing slower than my G. pulchripes.

I've kept my juvenile F in veggie containers like this for the past year. Should be a good size for another molt or two:
View attachment 229709
why the hygrometer?

Marika

Arachnoangel
Best beginner species? Pelinobius muticus.
Kappa.
Get a Grammostola pulchripes. They're so pretty and friendly and awesome.
No Goddess for me :D G. pulchripes seems like a great species and could very well be my second T, if I decide to get more.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
5.5 or 10 gallon size enclosure is fine @Marika
Remember to have the right amount of substrate to prevent significant distance from a fall and you're good to go.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
why the hygrometer?
That's my sister's enclosure. I'm having trouble convincing her how useless they are, she always responds "well I'm just curious about what it says" :banghead: I'm thinking of stealing it and claiming her Lp buried it.

I'll edit that thing out so I stop personally spreading misinformation. I should've picked that up, this forum has taught me better.