1.0.0 Selenocosmia peerboomi

1.1.0 Selenocosmia peerboomi

Greetings.
Robert

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
And if you wonder how the male of S. arndsti looks like here he is ;-)

Søren
Soren,
I don't even want to know how crazy males of this genus must be...or are they calm?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Not as bad as the fem's Jake IME but thats only from two species in my case BTW that S.peerboomi male is very pretty.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Suffice to say that it took me more than an hour to run him tired enough to photograph him and still it's merely a blurry snapshot. Took him less than a few seconds to regain his pace, and yes - trying to manipulate him with forceps merely produced hissing slapping and the classic defence stance. But not as mean as the females. I have had one jumping right at me from a box down on the floor were it started running round in circles - on the two pairs of rear legs while slapping, hissing and hitting. Reminds me of my girlfriends temper ... LOL ;-)

Søren

Jake H. said:
Soren,
I don't even want to know how crazy males of this genus must be...or are they calm?

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

Left: Selenocosmia himalayana (Nepal)
Right: Selenocosmia effera (Halmahera)
Below: Selenocosmia sp. (Malaysia)

Cheers, Volker

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
Below: Selenocosmia sp. (Malaysia)
Hi Volker,
Very nice, I like S.effera in particular ;) If I can ask, what are the autapomorphic character states of this species according to the original description (generic placement aside, obviously not the place for that discussion :))?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Selenocosmia sp.( Nth Qld)

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love the velvet black coloration. :} If only they were available in the U.S. :(

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe a stupid question, but are these S. effera the same as the S. lanipes you handed over to me a few years ago, or are the two species cohabiting the same island?

And I take it then that the small selenocosmiine we collected in Malaysia are Selenocosmia then? ;-) Is it possible to give it a long shot from the hip on the identity? S. tahanensis or something else? I have an adult male by now btw if that could be of any help?

Very Best Regards
Søren

VolkervonWirth said:
Hi,

Cheers, Volker

Last edited:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
Maybe a stupid question, but are these S. effera the same as the S. lanipes you handed over to me a few years ago, or are the two species cohabiting the same island?
Hi Sören,

yes, the shown female is the mother from the juveniles you've received from me. Sel. lanipes was a first assumption which was well foundet on the structure of the male Genital in the original paper from Ausserer 1875. But in the meantime I know that this structure is typical for a lot of Selenocosmiinae which lives from New Guinea to Australia. Unfortunately nobody will be able to examine the Holotypematerial from Sel lanipes, because this Material was deposited here in Stuttgart and was destroyed during the second World war. After I had examined the Typematerial from Selenocosmia effera , which is deposited in MHNP, and compared it with my Material from Halmahera, I have no doubt that the examined Specimen are conspecific! Maybe Sel. effera is a synonym of Sel. lanipes, but this can't be proven, because of the unavailable Typematerial from Sel lanipes!

And I take it then that the small selenocosmiine we collected in Malaysia are Selenocosmia then? ;-) Is it possible to give it a long shot from the hip on the identity? S. tahanensis or something else? I have an adult male by now btw if that could be of any help?
One of the larger Specimen died very fast after I'd received the Material from you and I was surprised to find peg-Setae on Chelicerae pl and a large stridulation organ on coxa of Palp. I possess the drawings from the Typematerial from Selenocosmia tahanensis, so it would be a good Idea to send the male, after he died, to me.

With best Wishes, Volker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Volker,
Very nice, I like S.effera in particular ;) If I can ask, what are the autapomorphic character states of this species according to the original description (generic placement aside, obviously not the place for that discussion :))?

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

why are you asking for the original description? Simon's original Paper has only a historical value, not a scientific one! I've examined the Typeseries from Selenocosmia effera which is deposited in MHNP and compared it with the pictured specimen and I have no doubt that my female (and a lot of dead alcohol Material from the same expedition) belongs to that Species, because there are no important character differences between my Material and the Typeseries from Selenocosmia effera!
Where is your private Mail? ;)

Cheers, Volker

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
why are you asking for the original description? Simon's original Paper has only a historical value, not a scientific one!
Hi Volker,
Yes, it does, but often the original paper will also show some character states which may still be autapomorphic. Besides it is always interesting to know why the species was described originally. These papers may indeed be historic and not much more, but they also serve as the first reference for all of us, a starting point if you will ;) Unfortunately I do not have access to such material as the original types and asking you for details from findings of your own (based upon examination of the types) would be innappropriate in a public forum such as here.

PM coming shortly ;)

Thanks,
Steve

Robert Seliger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some pic´s from my adult Selenocosmia peerboomi female protecting her eggsac !!!

Not the best quality, but i hope you enjoy them.
Best regards.
Robert

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Allright - I will change the name labels then ;-)

The male looks like he's on his last days - I will send him along to you when he dies.

Regards
Søren

VolkervonWirth said:
Hi Sören,

yes, the shown female is the mother from the juveniles you've received from me. Sel. lanipes was a first assumption which was well foundet on the structure of the male Genital in the original paper from Ausserer 1875. But in the meantime I know that this structure is typical for a lot of Selenocosmiinae which lives from New Guinea to Australia. Unfortunately nobody will be able to examine the Holotypematerial from Sel lanipes, because this Material was deposited here in Stuttgart and was destroyed during the second World war. After I had examined the Typematerial from Selenocosmia effera , which is deposited in MHNP, and compared it with my Material from Halmahera, I have no doubt that the examined Specimen are conspecific! Maybe Sel. effera is a synonym of Sel. lanipes, but this can't be proven, because of the unavailable Typematerial from Sel lanipes!

One of the larger Specimen died very fast after I'd received the Material from you and I was surprised to find peg-Setae on Chelicerae pl and a large stridulation organ on coxa of Palp. I possess the drawings from the Typematerial from Selenocosmia tahanensis, so it would be a good Idea to send the male, after he died, to me.

With best Wishes, Volker

Robert Seliger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Selenocosmia peerboomi still Larvae 2, about to moult in near future.

Best regards.
Robert

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,
Did you get many Nymph,s from the Selenocosmia peerboomi. Let me know if your going to sell a few of these as i would be interested,im in Ireland so not that far away ;-)