Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Genus Phoneutria - Basics about captive care and a brief look into the different species

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Stefan2209, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Big spider, big 'tude. Sadly one of the most maligned venomous spiders in the world.

2. Stefan2209

Stefan2209 Arachnodemon Old Timer

I know that vid and also the others from him. Not smart imho but i think he "kind of" knows what he's doing and i guess if he'd have get tagged he at least hadn't blamed the spider.

I find the end of this clip quite funny though. As soon as the lady starts to get crabby he's very fast to end the video. I wonder if he knew that the spider could have got him at any time if it had wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nich

Nich Curator of glass boxes Arachnosupporter

Holy thread resurrection batman! Keep it rolling, I know there are alot more of these in the hobby right now than there were in 09' lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoangel Active Member

My heart was in my mouth when it went for his finger, whoa! He shouldn't have been messing with it like that I think though; almost deserved the scare he got.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

5. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

CA
    Was he not tagged? I would have thought for sure that he would have been at the end there.

6. Outpost31Survivor

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0036-46652000000100003&lng=en&tlng=en

Brazilian Wandering Spiders (aranhas armadeiras), Phoneutria nigriventer, P. keyserlingi and P. fera, are sometimes said to have the world's most toxic spider venom – probably based on a well publicized study where mice were killed by intravenous injection of as little as 0.006 mg of venom. Since I'm a man, not a mouse, that doesn't worry me much. Authoritative sources state that over 7,000 authentic cases of human bites from these spiders have been recorded, with only around 10 known deaths, and about 2% of cases serious enough to need antivenom. So despite the surprisingly large number of bites, this spider is not exactly public enemy number one either.

Most medical conditions blamed on spiders by physicians lack confirmation that any actual spider was involved in the case. Spider bites of all kinds are rare events (as opposed to other bites and medical conditions that get wrongly blamed on spiders). Although it is possible for a spider bite to cause death, that is a very unlikely outcome and does not happen in enough cases to justify calling any spider "deadly."

https://www.burkemuseum.org/collect...ology-and-entomology/spider-myths/myth-deadly

Yeah, he should respect that spider because it's dangerous and super aggressive when threatened but this species has gained alot of hype for being one of the most venomous in the world which the internet has nurtured too however it doesn't deserve to be regarded as deadly, dangerous yes, but not deadly. That individual in the video knows this! Hobbyists should respect it as it were a deadly spider but in reality it's just potentially dangerous.

7. Outpost31Survivor

More links of interest:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/URBAN/SPIDERS/armed_spider.html

https://spiders.ucr.edu/deadly-banana-spider-or-not

8. Marc Spider

Marc Spider Arachnobaron

Yeah, from the reports.. it seems Loxosceles is the monster under the bed down in Latin America. I'd much rather get bit by a Phoneutria than a Loxosceles laeta even with the dry bites aside

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoangel Active Member

I would still say that Phoneutria should be regarded with the utmost caution. When it comes to potentially fatal species, comparison between species and genera can be very dangerous.
    Otherwise, I'd say that you are absolutely right in saying that these are not public enemies, rather being used by the media to create a fear of arachnids most of the time. They should still command respect however.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like Like x 1
  10. Outpost31Survivor

True, they need to be respected but they don't deserve to be vilified as deadly either (as in a "jumping fanged cyanide capsule"). There are even handling videos on youtube (not at all recommended) but when handled properly they aren't the venom dripping monsters most of us perceive them to be. Just be careful with them and don't handle them.

Handling of a P.boliviensis or P.nigriventer:

11. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Why can't people keep things in context instead of building a major melodrama?
    Deaths from motor vehicle accidents each year: 1,350,000 (WHO)
    Deaths from snake bites each year: 81,000 - 130,000 (WHO)
    Injuries from lightning strikes per year: ~240,000. Deaths: ~5,500-6,200 (Aggregate)
    Deaths from spider bites each year: ~5-15 (Est. Aggregate)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.