Gecko Not Eating

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
For some reason, my Leo won't eat. I've had him for 2-4 weeks and the most he has ever been interested in a meal was when he looked at it, came closer, and walked away. Maybe it's because he shed yesterday? I don't know, I've tried feeding every day to every other day. He has proper conditions, has never been woken, maybe he's lonely? Well, it's a 5.5 gallon tank, I don't think there's room for another. He is a baby, maybe around 3-4 inches max. What do I do?

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For some reason, my Leo won't eat. I've had him for 2-4 weeks and the most he has ever been interested in a meal was when he looked at it, came closer, and walked away. Maybe it's because he shed yesterday? I don't know, I've tried feeding every day to every other day. He has proper conditions, has never been woken, maybe he's lonely? Well, it's a 5.5 gallon tank, I don't think there's room for another. He is a baby, maybe around 3-4 inches max. What do I do?

it could be a number of things. most geckos that size though will eat a fair amount.

were did you get the gecko? if it was petco or petsmart it may have a disease or parasite. i know a few pet stores around me and a few stores around some friends in different places have leos who are sick. i bought one and it had microspiriodosis (spelling?) which caused the gecko to be lathargic and not eat.

how does it react otherwise? does it act normally for a gecko (run away when touched, walk around, etc) or does it lay around? how big is the food you present to it?

edit: also your cage is too small if its a 5.5 from what i know. id use a ten gallon personally.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
With out knowing some details, I will give you my best suggestions...

*check the temp and make sure that the gecko is kept warm. If too cold, they will not eat.
*feed at night 2 to 3 hours after the sun goes down, or feed early in the morning before 2 to 3 hours before the sun comes up. That is when they are naturally hungry.
*make sure the gecko has a proper day/night cycle with an incandescent light source.
*get a bigger tank (a 10 gal size) or move to a large sweater box type container.
*Always have a fresh source of water available.
*Stop trying to feed every day or every other day. Wait like 5 days, they need that sometimes.
*offer food when things are quiet and be quiet yourself with out causing too many vibrations.
* Dont offer food that is too large, make sure it is no longer than the geckos head and no wider than its head, dont offer food that is too small or it will be ignored. (waht are you feeding?)
*try feeding a different type of food animal.

Well, thats the best I can do for now. You can try some of those suggestions one at a time or a few together. Also lonely has nothing to do with it, shedding has nothing to do with it.
Good luck and keep us posted!