GBB's new house, is it appropriate?

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I watched Tom Moran's Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens husbandry video (very informative, btw) and he mentioned that GBB slings do not need the moisture content that other slings do, so I figured it would be safe to rehouse my Bumble Bee now. It was listed as 1 1/4 inches, but when I measure it I get 1 inch. The container is 4" high, 3" wide, and 3" long. I have 1 inch of substrate as I am under the impression that the general 1.5 times DLS rule doesn't necessarily apply to these guys because they don't burrow and need room for webbing. Is this correct? The substrate is dry except for a little accidental overflow. Should the water dish be smaller? Let me know what you guys think.
20200115_190345.jpg

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Id situate the plants so theyre closer to the ground...at that height it will web the top closed.

Otherwise it looks just fine.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
I scooted the hide forward and stuffed the plants down lower. I also took that opportunity to put some extra ventilation on the sides and back, closer to the sub level. Getting it out and back in was the easiest thing ever. 20200116_201245-1.jpg

Michael2020

Arachnopeon
I watched Tom Moran's Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens husbandry video (very informative, btw) and he mentioned that GBB slings do not need the moisture content that other slings do, so I figured it would be safe to rehouse my Bumble Bee now. It was listed as 1 1/4 inches, but when I measure it I get 1 inch. The container is 4" high, 3" wide, and 3" long. I have 1 inch of substrate as I am under the impression that the general 1.5 times DLS rule doesn't necessarily apply to these guys because they don't burrow and need room for webbing. Is this correct? The substrate is dry except for a little accidental overflow. Should the water dish be smaller? Let me know what you guys think.
View attachment 331096
That little one is cute kinda looks like my P. Irminia sling. I also watch Tom Moran and he is very informative.

Attachments

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
That little one is cute kinda looks like my P. Irminia sling. I also watch Tom Moran and he is very informative.
Awe! I'd say yours is a tad more intimidating though :) Those legs on them are dazzling. Psalmopeus is still in the "someday" category for me. I just started watching Tom Moran. I generally prefer to read but when it comes to pronunciation of scientific names videos are helpful.
Much better!
Much appreciated!

ZedsDead

Arachnopeon
Looks fantastic! Sometimes they take a while to web even in the best of set ups though so don’t be discouraged.

Xell

Arachnopeon
The reconfigured setup looks great.

Awe! I'd say yours is a tad more intimidating though :) Those legs on them are dazzling. Psalmopeus is still in the "someday" category for me. I just started watching Tom Moran. I generally prefer to read but when it comes to pronunciation of scientific names videos are helpful.

Much appreciated!
Tom Moran is a great source for knowledge. It's a shame he has only 25k subs on YT and it's partly because he doesn't do all of the flashy stuff that others do. He's definitely an educator, not an entertainer.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! My favorite thing about the GBB so far is how they require you to get a little creative, I can't wait to make it's full grown house.
I do wish it would start looking like it appreciates it though. It's spent most of the time in the same corner near the lid. There was some webbing done the first night but then back to the corner. I threw a small cricket in there and dribbled some water on the web to hopefully entice it to come down and nothing. Cricket is now stuck in the tiny bit of webbing which is going to be destroyed when I have to pull it out of there :( I took this picture yesterday and it's still in the exact same spot.
20200117_113734.jpg
I'm trying to be patient and bother it as little as possible. I just realized though that I don't know how to tell if it's getting close to molting, as it's abdomen is already black with orange and a shiny appearance.

Tom Moran is a great source for knowledge. It's a shame he has only 25k subs on YT and it's partly because he doesn't do all of the flashy stuff that others do. He's definitely an educator, not an entertainer.
Agreed. I like that he anwsers peoples questions in the comments and he explains things so thoroughly, I can be listening and doing other things at the same time like dishes or whatever. I don't care for super flashy/most popular. Except Dark Den, he's a fun one. Maybe slightly controversial, but entertaining while being informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZedsDead

Arachnopeon
Mine took 6 months to even start webbing up anything but just her burrow. It’s been a week or 2 since she’s done this. Her burrow is under the leaves. F04CBB92-149B-4561-B354-5EDEC5C533C2.jpeg

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Mine took 6 months to even start webbing up anything but just her burrow. It’s been a week or 2 since she’s done this. Her burrow is under the leaves.
What a precious pet pair of legs you've got there! I'm really looking forward to that, knowing it's comfy and cozy knowing that's where it will go if bothered. Beautiful set up too, btw :)
:rofl::rofl: Mine still doesn't and it's been in it's "new" enclosure for months now. It is very often up on the wall near the lid
It's a real exercise in patience, I suppose.

I am starting to fret a little now though about the risk of falling and what if it needs to molt and hasn't made a sufficient amount of web yet. It should figure it out though, right?

Xell

Arachnopeon
I can't really tell from the photos that you posted, but do you think there are ample ventilation holes? Does the T seem to be hanging out up top near them? I'm using a 4x4x4 Amac box, so my setup and sling size is similar to yours. Small piece of cork bark and two low hanging fake plants for anchor points. Excuse the two water dishes.... the GBB ended up getting substrate in the dish mixed with webbing and it kept draining the water dish, so I left it in there because it's an active anchor point for it's webbing. I just placed another water dish on the far side of the enclosure away from the webs. Some of my T's will stay on the glass near the ventilation holes if it's too stuffy for them. I only have two rows of vents on each side in this setup . Here are a few pics.

I did forget to mention. That webbing is from 6 days of the T being in that enclosure. It certainly settled right in. I'm just like you are though when it comes to bringing home new slings, I'm constantly playing Mother Hen and checking on them non-stop just because I'm afraid they need something I'm not providing.

Really your setup does look good though. I'm sure it will settle in just fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
do you think there are ample ventilation holes?
Thanks for the reply, your set up looks great. There are like 12 in the lid, 5 holes on each side and 3 in the back, I left the front unobstructed but I can change that if I need to. I got the cricket out of there without destroying too much of the webbing, dribbled a little more water on the web since I'm positive it hasn't found the dish yet. As far as I can tell it hasn't moved in the last 24 hours, no more webbing done last night. So I think I am going to pull everything out of there again tonight and put more vents in. Thanks again for your help :) I'll post more pics after I do that.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the reply, your set up looks great. There are like 12 in the lid, 5 holes on each side and 3 in the back, I left the front unobstructed but I can change that if I need to. I got the cricket out of there without destroying too much of the webbing, dribbled a little more water on the web since I'm positive it hasn't found the dish yet. As far as I can tell it hasn't moved in the last 24 hours, no more webbing done last night. So I think I am going to pull everything out of there again tonight and put more vents in. Thanks again for your help :) I'll post more pics after I do that.
You are good to leave it as is. I think fussing and changing things all the time is the worse thing you can do. Just leave the little guy to settle in and it'll be fine.
You have enough ventilation for a GBB and it'll find somewhere to moult if it needs to, so don't worry.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
You are good to leave it as is. I think fussing and changing things all the time is the worse thing you can do. Just leave the little guy to settle in and it'll be fine.
You have enough ventilation for a GBB and it'll find somewhere to moult if it needs to, so don't worry.
Ok, good. I didn't yet. I was thinking there's no way it could be too stuffy in there considering the vial it was in before had a lot less ventilation.
I just observed it doing some webbing, unfortunately part of it is attached to the lid, but at least it's settling in finally. I'll try feeding again tonight, hopefully it takes it so I don't have to and then I can leave it undisturbed for a while.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Ok, good. I didn't yet. I was thinking there's no way it could be too stuffy in there considering the vial it was in before had a lot less ventilation.
I just observed it doing some webbing, unfortunately part of it is attached to the lid, but at least it's settling in finally. I'll try feeding again tonight, hopefully it takes it so I don't have to and then I can leave it undisturbed for a while.
"I'll try feeding again tonight, hopefully it takes it so I don't have to"
Have to what? Don't think because the little guy refuses food his enclosure isn't right and you need to do something. Just leave it be for a few days to settle in then try feeding. If it doesn't eat, try again in another few days. :) Uprooting the T and making changes all the time will just stop it settling in an feeling safe, which is much, much worse than it not eating for a week or two.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
"I'll try feeding again tonight, hopefully it takes it so I don't have to"
Have to what?
Whoops, that's my bad, sorry for the confusion. I meant hopefully it eats so I don't have to take the prey out again thus compromising the web again. I haven't done any more rearranging :)
It was Friday when I put the cricket in, Saturday when I took it out. Tried again with a roach last night (Monday), the spider walked away and showed no interest in eating so I took it (the roach) out after about ten minutes, without doing too much damage to the web. That's two refused meals so I will try again in a week. If it hasn't molted that is. When it molts I should wait a week to feed again, I think?