GBB sexing help please

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello again here is my GBB best shots I can get. I am shooting them through a plastic case. I am sure photos would be crisper through glass gonna try and find a different setup. But here is what I got.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would lean toward male, that 'dot' in the middle of the epigastic fold looks like the gonopore. Appears very similar to both males I've had, though I have no female to compare with.

Bill

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd agree male as well. I'll get pics of my 9cm(3") female to compare with in a bit.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am going to disagree and say female. I dont see anything that screams male to me.
There is a ton of flash glare so I would not be suprised if I am wrong, but I am going to go with my gut.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Leaning towards female actually. 65% sure...haha dont take my word for it.:rolleyes:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm still gonna say male. This is my guaranteed female. Sorry for the badish pic but shes in premolt so I didn't want to bug her to much. My initial plan was to do the pin method and pick her up, but she was throwing threat poses like crazy so I had to go with this.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe this is just me but doesnt that orange and black and the size of the tarantula make yall think he titled this post wrong?....those colors look more like one from a costa rican tiger rump....Does anyone see it that way too? or am i missing something?...

I thought adult GBBs were blue and green and some other colors like that....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
maybe this is just me but doesnt that orange and black and the size of the tarantula make yall think he titled this post wrong?....those colors look more like one from a costa rican tiger rump....Does anyone see it that way too? or am i missing something?...

I thought adult GBBs were blue and green and some other colors like that....
No, that is definately Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. They go through drastic color changes from slings to adults. Every stage they look different.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Juvi GBB have that pattern on their rumps. It phases out eventually.

Oh and Novak that raised bump is another good indication of female. Flat and indented is a sign of male coupled with the dense patch of hair, which is lacking in his picture and yours.
The second picture is the best one and there is no half patch.....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Juvi GBB have that pattern on their rumps. It phases out eventually.

Oh and Novak that raised bump is another good indication of female. Flat and indented is a sign of male coupled with the dense patch of hair, which is lacking in his picture and yours.
The second picture is the best one and there is no half patch.....
Well, mine is a guaranteed and confirmed female, and I really don't see any similarity. I could be wrong, I have before, but I'm going with what I see. The only true way to tell I believe is via molt.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ballpython a 3 inch GBB does not have adult colors LOL but even so they still look nothing like a tiger rump at this point. 100% GBB.
Take a look at my other post's and you can get a top view of the same spider.
But back to the post I sure hope It is Female that would sure make me happy I will try for some higher quality pics and post em asap.:D

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
new pics for sexing

I used my dads old cannon g4 for these and gave the pin and pinch method of handling a go. The T was very calm and never gave a threat pose once:clap:
But here are some better pics for you experts:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats as female as they come. Nice pics as well. Natural light pics always seem to be better.
I love trying to hold Ts with my left hand and take the pics with my right. That is freaking hard to do.

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great news Female:clap: Yeah I know what you mean about hard I am right handed so having to hold the T with my left felt funny. Especially my first time holding a T this way I broke a sweat tryin not to shake:D Well thats 2 for 2 female out of My three slings next I will post my A versi. pics.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
read what I have to say before looking at the links..

My GBB looks like the second link, and his looks like the first. Now I know they are different species, but I was searching the boards and every species I looked at had the same form or idea. The male had that little hump in the slit, and the females had a straight slit.(not good with scientifc words in this case)

Males..
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=640969&postcount=37

Female
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=53291&highlight=ventral

jmhendric

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx for those links Novak that cleared up a-lot of what you guys are lookin at.
It still seems to be an art best left to experianced T keepers. I see what you mean about mine with the bump or dip but the last 2 pics look like yours to me.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the next molt will be good enough to sex:rolleyes

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanx for those links Novak that cleared up a-lot of what you guys are lookin at.
It still seems to be an art best left to experianced T keepers. I see what you mean about mine with the bump or dip but the last 2 pics look like yours to me.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the next molt will be good enough to sex:rolleyes
No problem. It gets easier as you practice more, but still it's never 100% accurate.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as well, I like being wrong, it tells me that I have to learn something or change something. Learning is living.