Gbb sex

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's really dark, so it's rough to tell. GBB's are notoriously difficult to ventral sex.

That being said, I'm going with male.

elysium

Arachnosquire
Yeah not much of that molt left for me to check unfortunately. I feel like the last picture out of that bunch might be the best one.

I thought female before she molted, but now that ventral doesn't look all too wide and lippy at all, and the book lungs are pretty close as well.

It is a beautiful spider nonetheless.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
It's really dark, so it's rough to tell. GBB's are notoriously difficult to ventral sex.

That being said, I'm going with male.
I tried to identify my GBB ventrally after it molted and destroyed the exuvia. Though it looked female and even had a friend try to verify and we thought it was female. next molt he hooked out into a male.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Well, ventral sexing has nothing to do with an exuvia. You were trying to sex by looking for spermatheca.
Thats correct. What I meant was I tried to sex it using the molt but it was torn to pieces by the time I was able to retrieve it. afterward I tried to ventrally sex it while i could see the underside of the T like pictured above. My inexperienced eyes thought it looked female but later molted into a male.

elysium

Arachnosquire
I thought it was going to be a mating thread because of the title...:D
Well :) if this little fella turns out to be a male, I just may have a female for him and it could turn into a mating thread! Though the female is about the same size as him so not quite sure if the timing will work.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The older GBBs get the darker the ventral side turns. Although in the pictures its quite dark, I would expect to see some slightly noticeable girly parts on a 3.5" specimen when sexing ventrally .

I am going with male as my girl is roughly the same size, a bit smaller. She is molt confirmed female and upon ventral inspection has 'lips'.

That is a very nice T you have though. Great colours :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well :) if this little fella turns out to be a male, I just may have a female for him and it could turn into a mating thread! Though the female is about the same size as him so not quite sure if the timing will work.

No it won't work, unless they're grown extremely slowly. You're already past that point. This isn't like reptiles where you can get a pair of young ones, raise them up and breed them annually. With spiders you get one breeding season with males. At a normal growth rate, I want my females to be at least 2 years older than the males.

elysium

Arachnosquire
No it won't work, unless they're grown extremely slowly. You're already past that point. This isn't like reptiles where you can get a pair of young ones, raise them up and breed them annually. With spiders you get one breeding season with males. At a normal growth rate, I want my females to be at least 2 years older than the males.
That's what I suspected based on what I've read on here. I won't be keeping him cooler and starving him just for the sake of breeding so he will likely be sent off when he matures.