GBB premolt or fasting?

Yrrej

Arachnopeon
Hi guys i recently bought a 2 cm gbb sling and after 2 days tried to fed it with a lat nymph. It was scared of the lat nymph and so i removed it. After 3 days i tried to feed it again but this time with a prekilled mealworm but it has refused. I thought that it might be in premolt but the thing is skittiah and fast. What do you guys think?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBBs, even as slings, are generally voracious eaters. Mine would only refuse food when in premolt. They also don't tend to get as chubby as other tarantulas when they are ready to molt, so that can throw some folks off. They can sometimes become a bit more sluggish and lethargic as the prepare for a shed.

How large was the prey item compared to the T? Do you have photos of it and the setup? :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Just provide water and Leave it alone for few days. Then try another feed if not moulted.

Last edited:

Yrrej

Arachnopeon
GBBs, even as slings, are generally voracious eaters. Mine would only refuse food when in premolt. They also don't tend to get as chubby as other tarantulas when they are ready to molt, so that can throw some folks off. They can sometimes become a bit more sluggish and lethargic as the prepare for a shed.

How large was the prey item compared to the T? Do you have photos of it and the setup? :)
The lat nymph is pretty much the same size as the abdomen of the sling
As for the sling itself : 20170611_042045.jpg

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From that pic, he's looking pretty plump. He could just be in premolt.

Does he have a hide at all? I can't tell. If not, a piece of cork bark with a couple fake leaves will give him some place to hide and something to anchor his webbing to. These guys are prolific webbers, and they appreciate some anchor points. They can also be quite skittish and fast, so you'll want to give it a safe place to retreat to when spooked.

Congrats on the tarantula, by the way. :)

Yrrej

Arachnopeon

Does he have a hide at all? I can't tell. If not, a piece of cork bark with a couple fake leaves will give him some place to hide and something to anchor his webbing to. These guys are prolific webbers, and they appreciate some anchor points. They can also be quite skittish and fast, so you'll want to give it a safe place to retreat to when spooked.

Congrats on the tarantula, by the way. :)
I gave a piece of fake leaf then it webbed over the leaf. Can a sling be in premolt and be skittish at the same time?I thought normally ts when in premolt will be sluggish?

Thanks man :)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I gave a piece of fake leaf then it webbed over the leaf. Can a sling be in premolt and be skittish at the same time?I thought normally ts when in premolt will be sluggish?

Thanks man :)
I've noticed that my GBBs will tend to slow down a bit once they get into premolt. They basically become less active and more sedentary. That said, they will still bolt if disturbed, especially if they don't have a place to hide. Because yours webbed over the leaf and doesn't have a den, it's going to feel exposed and threatened any time you open the enclosure. If it's in premolt, get it a little bottle cap water dish and give it some space for several days.

Last edited:

Yrrej

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that my GBBs will tend to slow down a bit once they get into premolt. They basically become less active and more sedentary. That said, they will still bolt if disturbed, especially if they don't have a place to hide. Because yours webbed over the leaf and doesn't have a den, it's going to feel exposed and threatened any time you open the enclosure. If it's in premolt, get it a little bottle cap water dish and give it some space for several days.
That explains everything!
will a capsule like this suffice for a hide?
20170609_185151.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
I see what just might be a freshly molted specimen...perhaps it had just molted before you got it. It can take 10-20 days for one that size to be ready to eat.

Yrrej

Arachnopeon
I see what just might be a freshly molted specimen...perhaps it had just molted before you got it. It can take 10-20 days for one that size to be ready to eat.
It's possible,ill try to feed it 5 days from now i think