GBB or Avic Versicolor

Britt Germs

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! This is actually my first post on here but I've been reading threads for awhile now. My little brother is getting ready to go off to college and wants to get himself a T to remind him of spending time with me. He's completely infatuated with my Red Slate Ornamental, but I'm opposed to it simply because of their temperament and quickness. He loves Arboreals, so I suggested a GBB or Avic Versicolor. I've never had one, so I'm reaching out to you guys as far as their tenpermant, hardiness, and overall care. So any advice would be amazing, or if there's any other stater arboreals you'd suggest would be great!

Thanks!
Germsy

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys! This is actually my first post on here but I've been reading threads for awhile now. My little brother is getting ready to go off to college and wants to get himself a T to remind him of spending time with me. He's completely infatuated with my Red Slate Ornamental, but I'm opposed to it simply because of their temperament and quickness. He loves Arboreals, so I suggested a GBB or Avic Versicolor. I've never had one, so I'm reaching out to you guys as far as their tenpermant, hardiness, and overall care. So any advice would be amazing, or if there's any other stater arboreals you'd suggest would be great!

Thanks!
Germsy
Hey
Firstly good decision over the P rufilata they aren't really a good choice to start a tarantula collection with a fast,large sometimes grumpy tarantula with potent venom.
I still see 2 issues though not bad ones, Avicularia as a rule are a little fragile and small mistakes typically will kill them so they're not an ideal starter either, although you can get around this by getting a juvenile or sub adult/adult as they become less fragile as they grow.

Gbb although seen as somewhat arboreal are actually terrestrial they don't seem to mind a little elevation in their enclosure though.
This is an extract from a book where these were studied.
LIFESTYLE. Terrestrial
HABITAT. This species lives in a relatively arid environment with a flora characterised by the presence of cacti , grasses and shrubs. Substrate is a very sandy soil with temperatures average between 35-39c and humidity is at 30%

For me the best start would be Gbb but its terrestrial so if your brother wants an arboreal I'd advise at least a juvenile and I'd advise A metallica as they are a little hardier than most Avics. Other members may say get A versicolor but I've never kept that species so I don't know how hardy they are

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The GBB would be easier to care for and easier to acquire at larger sizes (I'm not sure what it's like trying to get them in the US but here in the UK juvie/adult A. versicolor are rarer than rocking horse dung).

If it has to be an arboreal then Avicularia avicularia or Avicularia metallica would probably be a better bet than the versicolor as subadults/adults are easy to get hold of (most pet shops that sell Tarantulas will have A. avicularia and they're readily available online), the thread I've linked below should include everything you need to know about their care.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I agree with the GBB...A. versicolor is pretty hard to find here as anything other than a teeny tiny sling (and even then it's difficult sometimes). A GBB is going to be hardy, less maintenance and would be a great choice. They have all the beautiful coloring and do plenty of webbing, so it's all the good of the versi without the fragility and more strict husbandry requirements.
Technically GBBs are terrestrial but I would personally consider them semi-arboreal. Set up the enclosure the same way you'd set one up for a terrestrial but add some extra goodies like plants so they have some nice anchor points for their webs.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Webs quite a bit, fantastic eater, colors are impressive, slings are not as fragile. All of these things describe the GBB.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I have both versicolor and gbb. The gbb is a lot more visible and active. The versicolor hides in its Web all day

Last edited:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
The GBB would be easier to care for and easier to acquire at larger sizes (I'm not sure what it's like trying to get them in the US but here in the UK juvie/adult A. versicolor are rarer than rocking horse dung).

If it has to be an arboreal then Avicularia avicularia or Avicularia metallica would probably be a better bet than the versicolor as subadults/adults are easy to get hold of (most pet shops that sell Tarantulas will have A. avicularia and they're readily available online), the thread I've linked below should include everything you need to know about their care.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/
I'd go with the GBB for reasons already said.

also here in the U.S. versicolors are plentiful as slings and aren't too hard to find as juveniles with a few simple searches. The reason I never got one until a few months ago was just because I waited until I could find them for cheap ($7 each) so I could buy a small bulk for my collection.

Britt Germs

Arachnopeon
You guys are the best! I read all this to him and he wants to go with the GBB! I do appreciate everyone's tip and advice, you all are the best.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
With the GBB you might want to make sure you oversize the container a bit. Then put some extra plastic plants, cork bark, or other objects. He will then be entertained over time as the GBB goes crazy webbing it up.

The A. versicolor is still a good T to keep in the list for future purchase. They are perhaps the most beautiful T (or top 5 in most people's list).

Best of luck on the college and T setup.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thanks!
Germsy
GBBs are much hardier than any Avics. Many new Avic sling owners end up with dead Avics. If you kill a GBB your next pet should be a rock. GBBs are pretty fast for NW Ts generally speaking. If he wants a slower T that gets large with a better disposition, get a G. pulchripes.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The Avicularia genus just got revised. The versicolor has been placed in a new genus called Caribena.