GBB not webbing... but is healthy and active.

sezra

Arachnosquire
I got this guy as a sling and Ive had him for about a year now. He is unsexed but im leaning towards male just because of how leggy he is (yeah, i should really get around to sexing him to know 100% :p )

he eats well and will take a good size cricket once or twice a week and he molted successfully 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately i couldnt get his molt out in one piece as it was deep inside his hide, which is nicely webbed inside.

Im not really concerned for him at all as he seems healthy and very active (mostly) at night and can be seen cruising about, but he hasnt webbed anything besides the inside of his hide. Whenever I see other GBB's their entire enclosure is webbed but my guy doesnt seem interested.

I also have a MM OBT who has only webbed the inside of his hide so Im just wondering if light webbing behaviour is typical of sex? If not, copuld there be an underlying issue causing my GBB not to web.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
I got this guy as a sling and Ive had him for about a year now. He is unsexed but im leaning towards male just because of how leggy he is (yeah, i should really get around to sexing him to know 100% :p )

he eats well and will take a good size cricket once or twice a week and he molted successfully 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately i couldnt get his molt out in one piece as it was deep inside his hide, which is nicely webbed inside.

Im not really concerned for him at all as he seems healthy and very active (mostly) at night and can be seen cruising about, but he hasnt webbed anything besides the inside of his hide. Whenever I see other GBB's their entire enclosure is webbed but my guy doesnt seem interested.

I also have a MM OBT who has only webbed the inside of his hide so Im just wondering if light webbing behaviour is typical of sex? If not, copuld there be an underlying issue causing my GBB not to web.
Just comes down to the individual. IME they tend to not web outside as much if they stick to a hide. The inside will be covered, as you said, but not much around it. My AF OBT is like that and so was my M. balfouri sling when I had a fake rock in her enclosure as a hide. Switched to a little pile of moss in the corner instead and she's now webbed it up nicely and is making more and more holes through it to hide in. :) Maybe try something like that if you want a lot of webbing?

Side note:: My OBT made a hide out of the large pile of moss I gave her, but hasn't done much outside of it except for a few strands connected to her water dish and a very small mat in front of the entrance.

sezra

Arachnosquire
Just comes down to the individual. IME they tend to not web outside as much if they stick to a hide. The inside will be covered, as you said, but not much around it. My AF OBT is like that and so was my M. balfouri sling when I had a fake rock in her enclosure as a hide. Switched to a little pile of moss in the corner instead and she's now webbed it up nicely and is making more and more holes through it to hide in. :) Maybe try something like that if you want a lot of webbing?

Side note:: My OBT made a hide out of the large pile of moss I gave her, but hasn't done much outside of it except for a few strands connected to her water dish and a very small mat in front of the entrance.
thanks for your input. I did wonder if it was down to individual T's but because every vid you see on YT etc shows GBB's with big impressive webs i was worried there may be an underlying issue.

your explanation makes a lot of sense though because T's with little to hide in will obviously web lots to make cover for themselves. My guy has a nice piece of cork bark buried into the substrate that he has webbed so im guessing he feels safe enough to not web the entire enclosure.

As usual im over thinking things lol :p

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
thanks for your input. I did wonder if it was down to individual T's but because every vid you see on YT etc shows GBB's with big impressive webs i was worried there may be an underlying issue.

your explanation makes a lot of sense though because T's with little to hide in will obviously web lots to make cover for themselves. My guy has a nice piece of cork bark buried into the substrate that he has webbed so im guessing he feels safe enough to not web the entire enclosure.

As usual im over thinking things lol :p
I know the feeling though. :p I was hoping "Hera" (my OBT) would web the better part of her tank. Instead she just sits in a mossy corner and I rarely see anymore than little orange toes peeking out. At least until I put something that moves in front of her. ;) But even then, it's a only a flash of orange legs and fangs. :rofl:

sezra

Arachnosquire
I know the feeling though. :p I was hoping "Hera" (my OBT) would web the better part of her tank. Instead she just sits in a mossy corner and I rarely see anymore than little orange toes peeking out. At least until I put something that moves in front of her. ;) But even then, it's a only a flash of orange legs and fangs. :rofl:
to be honest it was one of the reasons I got a GBB lol.... i really wanted a heavy webber and after my OBT refused to web I thought a GBB would deliver :p

Dont get me wrong, i love the guy to pieces but I was expecting an enclosure that was fully webbed and kitted out haha. I cant blame him though.... im kind of lazy too so the age old mantra that pets take after their owners seems to have some credence :p

On the plus side im glad he feels safe enough in the hide provided to not web and at this point i'll just leave him to it. im not going to rip everything out for my own gratification.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My juvie male GBB only webs his hide and that's about it. Never really has webbed anything else even as a sling and it used to make me worry but it's perfectly normal

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Switched to a little pile of moss in the corner instead and she's now webbed it up nicely and is making more and more holes through it to hide in. :) Maybe try something like that if you want a lot of webbing?
The moss gives them a good spot for fast webbing and they like that. I do this for a lot of slings. It works great for them and bushy plants do the same for larger web loving Ts. In most of my enclosures the anchor point plants are always webbed up from where they pick for home out. So, I try to make a good spot for the size they are now and give them a good layout to web from. Then they pick a totally different spot ignoring all my hard work.:shifty:

OP: I've had 3 of these so far and I find they web very heavily when you give them a lot of web point options.

With my 1st one, I mainly had a half cork round hide with a few plants glued to it in one corner of the enclosure. My GBB only webbed the hide and wall beside the hide (and a mat around the hide). When I rehoused I went all in with webbing points. I reused the old the hide but added a lot of plants around walls of the enclosure. I also made it easy for the webbing to go across the center of the enclosure (without the T needing to attach web to the lid) by adding some plants to the middle. It webbed the whole enclosure up and made a lot of tunnels over a few months.

I only used bamboo skewers for webbing points for my smallest one and it's been webbing high and making tunnels with them. It's pretty cool to see.

My advice would be to try more anchor points to encourage webbing.