GBB not Eating

Migibu

Arachnopeon
Hi!!

Can someone help and/or ease my mind?
I got a juvenile GBB in January which has molted once since I got it but it has only eaten once or twice during this time (nearly 9 months!!!!). It does drink and is active but I'm starting to get a bit worried now??

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Not eating for 9 months?? what are the temperatures like? a GBB should have a voracious appetite.

Possibility you were sold a different species?

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Well, I'm no expert (yet) so I will give you my two cents from what I've picked up off the forums.

If you've got a photo - of spider and enclosure - that will most likely help in this scenario.

Is it in a stress curl? Are you keeping it properly (on correct substrate, eg.)? I'm not sure of the requirements for C cyaneopubescens but someone else here will know.

Has it webbed at all? If it's webbed up the enclosure I'd say it is comfortable in there as I believe they are great webbers.

If the abdomen is a good size then chances are it's just full, but if you're a bit anxious/not sure what a healthy size is, and want us to confirm, post a picture and we can tell you if it's a healthy size or not. :)

(If posting a picture of the T requires you to disturb a burrow, I'd leave it as it's probably happy in there, but snapping a pic of the enclosure might still help)

DeanK

Arachnosquire
As has already been said pics are always useful. What size is the T and are you feeding appropriately sized feeders? Both of mine eat everything they can get their fangs on until they hit premolt then they shut down. So not eating much in 9 months seems odd to me. They can go a long time without food though so if the abdomen looks good and it is drinking then I'd say not to worry too much

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I had a 2" GBB spiderling that didn't eat for almost 3 months. As long as it doesn't look like it is losing weight, no real need to worry.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
I had a 2" GBB spiderling that didn't eat for almost 3 months. As long as it doesn't look like it is losing weight, no real need to worry.
I completely agree. However, if they are not an experienced keeper (not sure if it's their first T or what) it might be worth us giving it a quick once over to be safe as they might not be 100% knowledgeable on healthy weights and shapes yet. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
eating two times since January, and molted one time?
Are you sure it is a GBB?
please post pics of spider and enclosure....

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah, that's an awfully long time for a GBB...I'm sure its fine since it's drinking, etc...but yeah...lets see some pics.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
T
The substrate is coconut fibre. Temperature is around 22 degrees Celsius.
I've been trying to feed it crickets and also tried meal worms.
That's a GBB if I've ever seen one.
Could it have fallen off the side on the enclosure and suffered from internal injury?
what temps do you keep the room at? **edit, did not see where you posted the temps above.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like a mature male from those photos. Can you post closer photos of the spider?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
how big is it? Wat was it sold to you as, male or female?can you get a picture from its pedipalps, the 'shorter legs' at the front?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Judging by the sperm web alone I'm guessing its a mature male.. ;-) Lol

He wants a girlfriend not a cricket...

Veribug

Arachnosquire
i really really really need those glasses....i thought it was just GBB crazy webbing....
Hahaha, I actually laughed out loud at this. I saw your post confusing the molt... oh dear. Maybe it really is time to get those glasses... ;):embarrassed::D:D:D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
mature male tarantulas rarely eat. just keep giving him water and try feeding once a week or so. they only have about a year or so left when they mature and eat less and less as they get closer to death. if you bought it like this and the seller didnt tell you anything, dont buy from him/her/them again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hahaha, I actually laughed out loud at this. I saw your post confusing the molt... oh dear. Maybe it really is time to get those glasses... ;):embarrassed::D:D:D
or stop using my phone for AB, and start clicking thumbnails for bigger picture...:D

louise f

Arachnoangel
Judging by the sperm web alone I'm guessing its a mature male.. ;-) Lol

He wants a girlfriend not a cricket...
God damn it, here i was busy looking at the legs, so i completely missed the spermweb underneath it :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: You`re right that is indeed spermweb. Well what an embarrassment :bag::bag::bag::embarrassed::embarrassed::D:D Louise!! snap out of it :eek::D