GBB making me nervous

Trenor

Arachnoprince
And he's got that big booty :D Mine has been in his current enclosure since a few weeks after his most recent molt so I think he's just lazy. Now what size DLS is your boy in the photos roughly? I'm concerned about mine being full adult coloration at his size. I'm sure they're all different but the more informed I can be, the better o_O
He was abut 3.5 inches in that photo. He is much larger now and has yet to mature.
My smaller male is about 3 or so inches now and I just rehoused him. I'm trying a new enclosure setup with him to see what he does with it. :) He has been webbing one small corner so far about a week in.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Alright, so update - he's not in a spot for me to get a good picture but he definitely doesn't have his hooks yet. :happy:

@Trenor how long are your boys generally in pre-molt for? I know it varies from individual to individual but does 6 months seem a little long for a 2.5" GBB in between molts? If that seems normal then I'm just overreacting and I'd feel a million times better :embarrassed:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Alright, so update - he's not in a spot for me to get a good picture but he definitely doesn't have his hooks yet. :happy:

@Trenor how long are your boys generally in pre-molt for? I know it varies from individual to individual but does 6 months seem a little long for a 2.5" GBB in between molts? If that seems normal then I'm just overreacting and I'd feel a million times better :embarrassed:
That seems a bit long for molting at that size. However, a lot of factors affect the amount of time needed to molt though. Two of the biggest is the amount of food and what temps they are kept at. I have a room for all the Ts and reptiles. I keep it at 78-81 all the time. This keeps mine molting like it's spring/summer time. From the photos you can tell my little gluttons love to eat. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well food is not a controllable factor in this equation :dead:
I don't have a T room but the ambient temp in my apartment is 72-76, I'll just chalk it up to it getting colder and wait and see!

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I have had male GBBS take 6 months to molt out at that size especially if they are picky eaters (note I have not had very many picky eaters, but a few ended up being small MM and still did their job)....not unheard of at all.

M 1

M 2

F 1

F 2

F 3

F 4

F 5

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well food is not a controllable factor in this equation :dead:
I don't have a T room but the ambient temp in my apartment is 72-76, I'll just chalk it up to it getting colder and wait and see!
Haha, yeah there are things beyond our control. :D
That's a good temp to keep them in.

I tend to check out their abdomen. If it looks nice a healthy your T might just be full. If your T's abdomen looks small but filled out then I wouldn't worry too much. Keep it water in the dish in case it needs it and try offering food every week or so. If the abdomen starts getting too small or shriveled then grab a photo and let us know. We'll see if something else might be up.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have had male GBBS take 6 months to molt out at that size especially if they are picky eaters (note I have not had very many picky eaters, but a few ended up being small MM and still did their job)....not unheard of at all.

M 1

M 2

F 1

F 2

F 3

F 4

F 5
Oh good, I feel much better now. I want my boy to have those thick thighs someday! Maybe he is just a picky eater - it'd be consistent with the rest of his personality, that's for sure o_O

If the abdomen starts getting too small or shriveled then grab a photo and let us know. We'll see if something else might be up.
He's a little shriveled but after much searching it doesn't look like it would be uncharacteristically so for the species. I'll keep trying to fatten him up :happy:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Not much to add that hsnt been said but gorgeous GBb an good luck w/ it.
They r some of my favs

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Looks not shriveled, healthy, and like a juvy male gbb should look like to me
Thank you! It was a little worse but he seems to maybe have taken a nice long drink. He's been more active the last day or two as well which is awesome - or at least half awesome since I'm just dying for him to molt and he just wants to climb around. But I'll take it. :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I agree with Joe it's a good size. Just wait a week or so and try offering more food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's cool. I've not had any of mine do so that I've seen. The do like to throw boluses in there to scuzz up the water though. :(
That's pretty funny because mine never did or do. It's all about the individual generally.