GBB egg sac question, any ideas??

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
things seem to be going good on my GBB sac, on day 8 now :D however something has been bugging me ( no pun ) about her sac and I'm looking for ideas. I've noticed that after she wrapped it up, there is an umbilical cord like piece of the sac that she never tore loose. You can see where she has been rolling the sac its twisting that piece and I'm worried its going to limit her ability to roll the sac around and or damage the eggs inside. So should I go in real fast and snip it loose?? I'm sure she wont like the disturbance....what you do you guys think. Take a look.

SentinelPokie

Arachnopeon
Dont

I suggest that you dont because obviously its highly risky but also its a mothers insinct to do what she was born to do...be a mother. If an actual problem occurs then snip it off:D

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would snip that piece loose. That could possibly tear a hole in the sac. It most likely won't but it's not worth the risk.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't touch it. Let her handle it. To me it's normal with certain species to build a successful sac like that. Any interaction you make will cause more harm than good.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would snip that piece loose. That could possibly tear a hole in the sac. It most likely won't but it's not worth the risk.
never herd of such thing,
I would leave it alone
if it not your sac dont play with it ;P

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I would snip it off. Being in her area and shooting photos is just as bad IMO. Its not like she doesnt notice you flashing the camera. I dont think she really minds too much. If you cant reach it with normal siccors id use some long surgical ones.

Side note: Talkenlate04 removed his P. metallica and sac and added some peat to cover up the mold in her hide. He put the sac and her back in. Seems she didnt mind. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqqU-bDdEus

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A tricky question with potentially dire consequences for failure (don't want her to eat the sac, of course). My take is that she couldn't have deliberately tethered it like that because it screws up the shape of the sac and makes turning it more difficult. Just because they have instincts for this doesn't means they'll always do things right, especially if this is a first time mama. I've heard of T's abandoning or eating good sacs for no apparent reason.

I'd snip the snagged tether and then watch closely. Be ready to pull the sac and incubate it artificially if it seems necessary (like if she looks like she's abandoning or about to eat the sac)

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Moltar you read my mind

I snipped it this morning and she flipped the hell out and tore up all her webbing and covered the sac. Imagine like in bed and you pull all the covers up over your head, like that but with substrate filled webbing. I needed to tho because the sac had gotten pulled really long and it was stressing me out bad! So needless to say being at work all day was super stressful and on the way home I bought my incubation stuff early and am making it now. Good thing too because she wasnt holding onto the sac when I check on her a couple mins ago. She is close to it but far enough away to merit and early incubation. Im on day 9 now after she laid it, how risky is artificially incubating it at this stage? Ive never had to do it this early..

How many times should I roll it?
Should I keep the humid around 85% temp around 82% like it was in the enclosure???

Any more advice would be choice here.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
talk about depressing...

well I feel like someone just took the wind out of my sails... I wish I snipped it earlier so she could properly rotate the eggs inside.. and now I know why she left it alone.

talk about devastating, finally get a sac from her and its bad..

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The eggs could be bad/infertile in the first place. I've had weird looking sacs with such imperfections that turned out perfectly, while others with same imperfections about the silk were a disaster after few days...but I don't think that piece of silk has anything to do with it, either the eggs are good or not. And if the case is that even the eggs were good and it was poor sac construction that messed them, in my opinion there's nothing we can do to save such premature eggs.
Anyway, keep it up and best luck for next time :)

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
happened what? tear a hole in the sac?
Correct. The female P. fasciata kept turning the sac that was attached to a piece of cork bark. Eventually it ripped a hole in the sac and began spilling eggs. Fortunately they were far enough along to be salvaged.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh man, that sucks. That is a really ugly picture for any species' sac. Doubly so with GBB's who are so finicky with breeding. Chalk it up to a learning experience, I guess.

You still have the fertile female so not all is lost! Good luck next time.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Correct. The female P. fasciata kept turning the sac that was attached to a piece of cork bark. Eventually it ripped a hole in the sac and began spilling eggs. Fortunately they were far enough along to be salvaged.
I had a P. pederseni do that...iut ripped and all the eggs went right into the substrate...sucked!!!