Garter info

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its using all dimensions of the tank, the floor, tree branch, and even the edge of the lid, going around a rectangular course 6 inches above the peat. nice little buggers.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
AneesasMuse said:
I'm just wondering if this spray foam (Great Stuff) we find here in hardware stores would be easier to apply (less epoxy needed). People have used it in reptile vivs with safe results, but I'm not sure about arachnids.
Works great. Before it dries, sprinkle dry sifted peat all over it, it will stick, giving it the look of an embankment or something of the sort. I havent used this method, but I know a guy that does.
I'll be making a few tanks like this for some of my larger T's soon. You can make a backdrop and hide all in one.

Chris

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you tried sculpting styrofoam? (I haven't) Wonder which is easier.

Ed

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've tried, and i find styro and cement easier to handle. but then again, that's only me ;).

i got a few tanks with foam backwalls second hand, and my gbb and the crix gnawd it away in some places. looked awful, so i took those walls out.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got some feeder fish today. They were Rosy Red minnows. I do not know if these contain thiaminase(sp). Anyone know what fish are best? I heard guppies were, but i do not wish to spend 5 bucks for each individual feeder;-P Even if they do have the chemical, i will have other feeders avalible soon, so its no immediate emergency.

Last edited:

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got some feeder fish today. They were Rosy Red minnows. I do not know if these contain thiaminase(sp). Anyone know what fish are best? I heard guppies were, but i do not wish to spend 5 bucks for each individual feeder;-P Even if they do have the chemical, i will have other feeders avalible soon, so its no immediate emergency.
It will take about 4-6 weeks, but if you have the space... set up a 10g with a trio of guppies and in a short time, you will have lots of "feeders". Guppy moms drop about 10-15 babies each drop and with the male in the tank, the 2 moms will always be preggo. I did this for my bullfrog and for my Oscar, as a treat.

Just be sure you have at least 2 females to each male, to cut down on "harassment" ;) and do a water change once a week. Plants and hides are a good idea in the tank, too. It helps on the survival rate of the offspring and offers them a food source (algae growing on stuff). Not to mention, having your own food culture going will ensure the nutrition of your snakes :D

Oh, and until your guppies get going... buy "feeder guppies"... usually 10 for a $1 at your LFS (local fish store)

Forgot to say thanks about the tank idea... I was thinking of using COIR over the Great Stuff. Apply the GS, let it dry and then cover it with black silicone (safe one) and while that's still wet, apply the COIR or peat, in your case. This is how I've seen it done for other critters' vivs. Either way, now I know it's safe for my T's... thanks! :)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Weird on the earthworms...I recall on another garter site it was mentioned these make a fine food for the snakes. I've raised newts purely on worms and they do fine. Worms are good for protein and compared to many insects have a good Calcium to phosphorus ratio do to the soil in the gut that is ingested(so you can increase the benefit by adding calcium carbonate to the dirt you keep em in).

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heres a small update. It wont eat vitamin dusted fish fillet, so thats out of the question. All it did was sniff it, then proceed to crawl up the side of the tank and onto my arm. Weird. at least its docile :eek: .

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tham

i feed my garter crawlers, fish, frogs, and scented pinkies-- a nice round diet.
use a zoo med light for UV
simple aquarium w/ hide box and newspaper
so long as the snake is taken care of they can live many years

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if it doesn't want the vitam dust, trick it :D. just buy the liquid vitamin stuff or dissolve your poweder in a bit of water. then inject the solution into a prey item - if she can't smell it, she won't reject it.

if your diet is not VERY well balanced, vitamins are a real issue with garter snakes. a friend of mine has lost her favourite snake to a vitamin b deficiency.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
problem with frogs is the risk of parasites. only in an emergency would i use them, as the southern toad, a natural fave, is very abundant here and is legal to collect. Ill try the "tricks" though, or simply find a better fish and some pinkies.