Garden Centipede

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Hello, I just found a centipede in my substrate bin. I don't know how it got there but I caught it and put it in a small container. I put a little bit of damp coco-fibre in the container and a small spider i found in the basement. I want to keep this centipede and i'm wondering what I should know. It ate the spider that was it with it right away, the centipede is about 1 1/2" long which is the biggest I have seen in Alberta.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
It is really simple. I have three that live together. If you use coco fiber the pede will probably burrow unless you give a piece of bark to hide under. When the sub looks dry mist and keep ventilation reasonable but you don't want too much. I make sure that there is water dripping on the sides of the container. You don't really need a water bowl because they will drink off of the side of the enclosure. I feed mine everyday, which is probably too much. If you keep multiple together then they will share food. Mine will scavenge a dead pinhead cricket and also eat spiders. I have never had too worry about picking up scraps from these pedes because they usually will completely devour their prey. Overall, they are very easy to care for as long as humidity is high, and they are a lot of fun.