Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok i have a problem
Everyone says that sand hurts my t by ruining it's pads is this true

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Sand is a generally crappy substrate. I don't know about the ruining of the pads, but I do know it can get in booklungs and cause problems, in theory. Also, the T can't do any burrowing in straight sand, more than likely.

Use good old sphagnum peat moss.. Everyone (including myself) seems to love it.

Bill

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my mom wouldn't have let me get a t if it didn't have a pretty substrate(red sand) and anyway my tarantula usually dosen't burrow because i made a very cozy home for it which it seems to like.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, do you want a healthy pet, or a pretty cage with a dead tarantula in it?

Bill

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just because your T doesn't burrow now, doesn't mean that it won't in the future. You might try explaining to your mother that sand could cause problems. If she's at all concerned with the welfare of the spider, she should understand at least partially.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
BTW, You mom isn't serious. Crappy sand might rupture an abdomen. Tell your mom to stop being niave, and buy you some peat moss.

BTW

I was joking, no offense there.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your Rosea would probably burrow if it had the correct substrate. You can use either peat moss or shredded coconut bark for substrate. I have heard of mixing sand and the above for the desert species, but Even my desert T's use the shredded coconut. The only thing I use straight sand for is my Bearded Dragon.