G. rosea vs. G.pulchra

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Hey there,

Is there any real difference between the care of G.rosea and G.pulchra? I've seen sheets saying the G.p need higher humidity and I've seen sheets saying a variety of different things, but these may fall within the normal range of variation for recommendations on any species.

Cheers,
Dave

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not that i have seen i have both and they seem to like tha same conditions. except the G. pulchra seems to like it a bit more humid.. =D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Hey there,

Is there any real difference between the care of G.rosea and G.pulchra? I've seen sheets saying the G.p need higher humidity and I've seen sheets saying a variety of different things, but these may fall within the normal range of variation for recommendations on any species.

Cheers,
Dave
Nothing is hardier than G. rosea. They can take it in a dry environment with just a water bowl. They are THE pet of neglect.

G. pulchra is easy to care for too. Besides the higher humidity requirement, G. pulchra likes to burrow more, and is faster than G. rosea when handling.

I don't think G. pulchra takes as long a time fasting as G. rosea does.

I consider these two species as the best to handle, if you must handle at all. Of course there is risk of getting bit with any T, but there is more risk of these T's taking a fall than there is of them biting once they're in your hands.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rosea? not for handling (IMO)

i half agree with profT --

same crap about the care and hardiness of the T's (pulchra could def.stand a bit more higher humidity)...

however, i don't consider rosea's good handlers. Whenever i do presentations at schools or temples or churches or local groups, i *NEVER* take out my rosea's. They'd bite the hell out of some kid. I handle my blondi's before i do my roseas! I know there are many many pet-rock roseas out there, but seriously, in all my years, and in most of the people I've met (this is just my opinion), the rosea's are mean little buggers.... It's rare to come across an actual chill rosea. Doesn't mean they aren't absolutley beautiful, though! I've got alot of them! Love my red phases too!! One of the only roseas I can handle is my red phase female. She's fangy, but not bite-y-- uses her fangs as ice-picks which is sweet...

i'd say a great handling species is the PZB... great species...

it just seems more and more that the rosea's are pretty bitchy and nippy :)

even just on the boards... out of maybe 25 of the last rosea-related posts, i've seen 3 that are like "oh mines the best" --

HOWEVER, i'm BACK ON TRACK with prof. T again with handling a pulchra -- great T! =D

im not a huge handler at all -- i'm from the "i think it stresses the T out" school of non-handling.. I mean, every so often, i'll take a couple of them out for some late night walks, but otherwise, its just feed, eat, get sexed up, drink, climb, burrow, stand, spin around, web up, and chill for my T collection.

anyways get a pulchra.. i've raised one from a sling, and its the most amazing beautiful jet balck/indigo color.... nice as hell! a bit faster than the roseas, but i've never handled the bitches before, so.... :)
peace,
dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Dave.
I keep my rosies and my pulchra the same. So far, no complications. I have not observed my pulchra ever hovering over the water dish or anything like that. I think with fresh water and a weekly misting, the pulchra is content.

Atrax

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: rosea? not for handling (IMO)

Originally posted by RugbyDave

i'd say a great handling species is the PZB... great species...

it just seems more and more that the rosea's are pretty bitchy and nippy :

peace,
dave
Hi Dave,
I respect and appreciate the information on chilean rose hairs. My opinion might be very skewed because I have a female G. rosea that I've had for 10+ years, that I have let 100's of students handle. She is very docile, however I understand that individuals can vary. It has always been my understansing that this species is very docile, however I am hearing more and more stories about G. rosea not being the great handling species I thought they once were. I might have just been lucky to get one that is as docile as docile could be.

I would be interested in hearing from others about the suitability of handling G. rosea compared to other docile species such as: (1) G. pulchra, (2) A. avicularia, (3) B. smithi, (4) B. albopilosum, (5) E. campestratus, (6) others Thanks! PT

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
IME they can be kept exactly the same, but I would agree that pulchras tend to do more burrowing if given a vivarium that permits it.

Joy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep them the same.......bone dry substrate with a full water dish at all times.......both have done well for me kept in this manner.
Ed

oh, and the pulchras seem to want to burrow when small, but as they get some size on them will want to stay out in the open IME with the 8 pulchras I have..........the roseas stay out in the open, both my roseas are in enclosures with foamariums and rarely if ever use the caves.
Ed

Last edited:

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh yes...burrowing

Hi...

My Pulchra went into hiding in January and just came back out in late March now.
I gave her that deeper substrate, ( I thought from keeping her from falling to high ) and she had the opening of the burrow just beneath the waterdish.
Now she acts like 100% terrestial.

She's like a tarantula "Trading Places" or "Changing rooms", re-making the cage all the time. :)

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say that the G. rosea is the most basic as you can get as far as care. The G. pulchra I would keep a little wamer with a little more humidity.

I have found that both species can be quite skittish and will often try to bite from time to time

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I have multiples of both and here is my personal observations

Rosies:

Origin: Atacama Desert
As a pet: Set it and forget it goes well with this one!
Like it more dry or as dry as possible(just a water bowl will do)
range 60-80F comfortable temps
Way more Moody.
less comfortable with handling. Moderatly Nervous
Will Kick Uhair if provoked.(personal Uhair reaction itchy as #$%! slight 24 hour rash)
Bites at random mostly as a last line of defence when exteremly stressed
(personal bite reaction - localized pain in thumb similar to a burn/bee sting)

TEND to not burrow. Even as slings

When presented with a vivarium set up:
Will pick a spot if no hide avaliable and become a rock
If hide is avaliable will seclude themselves and spend most of the time in hiding

Pulchras:

Origin: Brazil
As a pet: Hardy and Beautiful, you will spend more time with it than with a rosie
not because its more needy but because there is something hypnotizing about it. Otherwise about same.
Once a week substrate flooding or a larger waterbowl evap should be just fine.
Comfortable temp range 60-80F
Extremely Docile.
More Comfortable with handling - will however dart more often than a rosie

Does posses U hair
Have not however witnesses a Pulchra kick hair, it prefers to flee
never seen a threat posture
never been biten
Does burrow often as a sling to juvie, rearranges environment constantly
Does tend to stay out more in the open than a rosie as an adult,
has a roming range so to speak instead of being a pet rock.
Does stick to a hide if offered one

Over all i would say Rosies are more extreme as far as environment range goes but way more moody than pulchras, while pulchra are more docile but prefer a more stable slightly more humid environment.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not that i have seen i have both and they seem to like tha same conditions. except the G. pulchra seems to like it a bit more humid.. =D
They are the same care sheet in my opinion but maybe it depends on the individual Ts because some pulchra don't like humidity that much and some do. I think the more bigger they are the more humidity lover they become in my Exp.

elle101

Arachnopeon
I also own a rosea and a pulchra.
My rosea has never kicked hairs. It does however attack and would most definitely bite as a first defense. It has a hiding place but rarely uses it.

My pulchra is very docile. It does roam around the cage, but also never uses its hiding place.