g.rosea pressed up against the glass?

Simon83

Arachnosquire
I've had my g.rosea (?) for about 2 weeks now. She'd been in a tiny enclosure...she's maybe 3/4 inches and the enclosure was basicly the size of my hand. She'd constantly be pressed up against the glass which I assumed was because she had no room to be stretched out.

I moved her into a much bigger enclosure today (probably 7ish gallons?) and she did explore a bit...but then went back to pressing herself up against the side of her tank. Any idea why she is doing that? The heating is always on in my room and so I can't imagine it would be down to being cold?

I worry that she is very dehydrated as her abdomen seems really small (thought bare in mind this is my first tarantula so /i could be wrong). I foolishly never gave her water in her other enclosure (some say she should have some, some say she gets it all from crickets) but she has a decent size water bowl now. But could this be related to it? I gave her her first cricket in a week yesterday but I foolishly picked up the tank while she had it in her mouth to check she was ok (due to my place having bed bug treatment again I had to take her out for the day). When I picked it up to look at her she spat it out and then coward into the corner, I felt *so* bad :-( I tried to give her another cricket but she just hid from it. But since I've moved her into a new enclosure and you're not supposed to feed her for a week I'm worried she may get even more dehydrated. I guess this paragraph has nothing to do with the glass thing, except that I worry it's all stress/dehydration related. I just want her to be ok and I worry that since I'm a newbie I'm going to kill her :-(

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had my g.rosea (?) for about 2 weeks now. She'd been in a tiny enclosure...she's maybe 3/4 inches and the enclosure was basicly the size of my hand. She'd constantly be pressed up against the glass which I assumed was because she had no room to be stretched out.

I moved her into a much bigger enclosure today (probably 7ish gallons?) and she did explore a bit...but then went back to pressing herself up against the side of her tank. Any idea why she is doing that? The heating is always on in my room and so I can't imagine it would be down to being cold?

I worry that she is very dehydrated as her abdomen seems really small (thought bare in mind this is my first tarantula so /i could be wrong). I foolishly never gave her water in her other enclosure (some say she should have some, some say she gets it all from crickets) but she has a decent size water bowl now. But could this be related to it? I gave her her first cricket in a week yesterday but I foolishly picked up the tank while she had it in her mouth to check she was ok (due to my place having bed bug treatment again I had to take her out for the day). When I picked it up to look at her she spat it out and then coward into the corner, I felt *so* bad :-( I tried to give her another cricket but she just hid from it. But since I've moved her into a new enclosure and you're not supposed to feed her for a week I'm worried she may get even more dehydrated. I guess this paragraph has nothing to do with the glass thing, except that I worry it's all stress/dehydration related. I just want her to be ok and I worry that since I'm a newbie I'm going to kill her :-(
Are you saying she's three or four inches, or three quarters of an inch?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
She's perfectly, fine I think, and just needs time to settle in. Yes they do need a waterbowl, though they do like it dry otherwise. Just give her time, and leave her be.

I'd be more worried about the bed bug treatment, though. Tarantulas are "bugs" too, and bringing it in after just a day might not have been the best idea, depending on what the "treatment" was.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear it *shouldnt* be something to worry about. As for the bed bug treatment, I took her back to the pet store for a couple of days for the first treatment. I'd left the crickets in my apartment and they were fine being in there so I figured Sophia should be ok. The place stank of the stuff when I came back yesterday but I put her in the bathroom (the door had been shut all day) while I aired out the place. She has been very stressy and jumpy since she's been back but it's understandable with being in my bag all day and then being moved to the bathroom. Both she and the crickets are fine though today though, fingers crossed touch wood etc, she should be fine.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Having said that it looked like she started going into her death curl :-( she had most of her legs curled in and was twitching. I gave her a couple of pokes and she started to move around...now she's climbed up the glass. I will feel so horrible if something happens to her :-(

kush

Arachnopeon
if she dies that will suck.i wouldnt wanna be haunted by a tarantula ghost looking for revenge.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you heating the tank? do you have a lamp / torch close to the tank? This could be heating the T past its point of Comfort.

My B. bohemei huddles down in a corner when the lamp is on near by and I think it is because it gets too hot IMO, and others will say no additional heating or light is required.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I the crickets were in there when the you treated the place. I wouldn't feed them to the t. Just my opinion.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
The only heating she has is from the room i.e no heat lamp or anything. I would guess the room for the most part would be in it's 70's. As for the crickets I bought them while I was out for the day so there shouldn't be anything on them.

I woke up this morning to find her sticking her legs in her bowl so I'm hoping now she's had some water she might be feeling better.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like normal rose hair behavior to me, they do all kinds of strange things, the most bizzarre species.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
The only heating she has is from the room i.e no heat lamp or anything. I would guess the room for the most part would be in it's 70's. As for the crickets I bought them while I was out for the day so there shouldn't be anything on them.

I woke up this morning to find her sticking her legs in her bowl so I'm hoping now she's had some water she might be feeling better.