G. rosea molting with no progress

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a G. Rosea that I have had for about 6 months now and it have been in premolt for almost 2 months now. It finally laid its molt mat last night and when I went to bed at 1am it was just getting the mat ready. I woke up this morning at about 8am and she was still just laying there. When I came back from my class at 10am I found her laying on her back, So she is in molt but it is going on about 5pm now and still no progress. She is rather large 6" or so... Should this be normal for a long molt like this or is it a bad sign?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutly normal. A mature rosea, that size, will take forever to do everything. You just sit back and watch. My female rosea is at 6 inches also and shes been in premolt for around 3 months now.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutly normal. A mature rosea, that size, will take forever to do everything. You just sit back and watch. My female rosea is at 6 inches also and shes been in premolt for around 3 months now.
ooo dear more news like this kills me because I have a sling in premolt, it's like a suspense waiting to happen, best wishes on your molt!

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol a sling molt talks about an hour pretty much, I have been waiting for about 2 months for this one and it has been in molt all day, the suspence right now is crazy insane.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a rosea that hasn't molted in two years and hasn't eaten in 4 months. i also have a male I acquired recently that I have no records on that hasn't touched food or molted in a while either. Everything with these guys is a waiting game.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so at what time period should i worry about this mature female not making it?

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well to give some frame of reference:

my G. rosea recently molted a few days ago. she hadn't eaten in months. i saw her preparing the mat at night, so i knew she was getting close. when i got up for work the next morning, she was on her back. i left and came home from work a good 8 hours later, still laying on her back. :p

not too long after that i checked back and she had started the process, later i looked again and there was my T, big and shiny. the color fades quickly but i think my rosea is stunning after a molt.

the entire process could have taken close to 12 hours or so all said and done... hehe.. or more even.. :)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It took about 6 hours for my 5" female to "pop" her carapace and start coming out. Then it took only 1.5-2 hours for the rest. At 6", yours is probably several molts larger so its probably normal. 9 hours isnt abnormal for a large G. rosea. How is the progress now? Has she been well hydrated prior?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i came in this morning and there was two of her in there and made me smile because she was my first baby and at the moment my largest, her colors right now are absolutely amazing. black. silver, and copper. Her molt was almost perfect and i acually am saving and reconstructing to look just like her. this molt was incredible, she did it like a champ{D :clap: . as for hydration; she has a water dish that is always full and I stay the sides of the enclosure once a week.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
yea, just make sure she has water in a dish. this is a pretty tough species that will survive just fine even if your dish runs dry..but i think its a good rule to just make sure theres always water available. this species typically hates moist substrate and will climb the walls or decorations to avoid it and they don't need high humidity, so theres really no need to mist.