G. Rosea macro/Psalmopeus handling demo

juvie - probably male.

-V

Attachments

Last edited:

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful T Jarrett! Props for everything you handle!

;P Kristin

kefin

Arachnopeon
hi,

i wanna know how do you exactly pick those spiders up.. i always use a pencil and let him walk on my hand... but i wanna know how to pick them up.. thats much easyer

Kefin

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics,
It's nice to see a G. rosea that will let you handle it like that. Some of the rosies people have are not so nice.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
with a rose hair I pretty much just stick a hand in front of them and nudge there rump and they walk right on my hand, if that doesn't work i just grab em

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

For regular handling I put them on a relatively open surface like a bed or bathtub and then lay my hand in their walking path, so that im not forcing them so much as them winding up there... as for the other method:

From The Tarantula keepers guide

This method works best for medium to large-sized tarantulas that are accustomed to being handled, or those that are not but are known to not be dangerous.
Cup the hand slightly and come down quickly but gently over the taratulas top as though an egg or a tennis ball, in danger of rolling away, were being picked up. For those tarantulas that are not accustomed to being handled, this must be done fast enough to not allow them time to react to the sight of your hand.
The thumb should be placed beside the animals pedipalps and legs on one side. The index finger should come down over the top and front of the chellicerae. the fingers should enclose the legs on the side opposite the thumb, The animal's body should be cupped into the palm of the hand with its legs held firmly at its sides. The thumb and fingers should be at its sides, preventing its escape. Smoothly turn the palm up. The tarantula should nestle on its back, secure in the partly closed hand.
If it struggles, a fall can be prevented by merely clasping the legs to the body. If it tries to bite, the fingers are safely out of harms way, but in a position to subdue the action of the chelicerae and fangs. And it doesnt appear as though the handler is terrified of the animal. The novice is strongly advised to practice on a docile, long-term captive before trying it on a wild one, freshly recieved at a petshop.
Two details are important when attempting to pick up a tarantula that is not cooperative or is not accustomed to being handled. First, one must be cautious not to injure the tarantula with too forceful or exuberant an attempt at grasping it.
Secondly, one cannot hesitate over the tarantula before grasping it. While the animal's eyesight is poor. they can still percieve your hand hovering menacingly over them. If they are inclined to defend themselves, a moments hesitation is all that is required for them to turn and openly confront you.
After being picked up like this several times, many, if not most, new world tarantulas will become quite accustomed to being picked up and seldom struggle or object. For the naysayers in the readership... these authors often pick up Theraphosa blondi using this procedure, with heavy rubber gloves used as protection against urticating bristles.

the above pic and the following should give a good indication of what is involved.

Psalmopeus cambridgei

-V

Attachments

Last edited:

kefin

Arachnopeon
ahh thats nice too know i will try to grab my G.rosea that way.. he wont bite me.. (i think) but thanks for the advice i hope i can pick it up just like that to..

Kefin

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah I get a bit paranoid when I stick my hand in the cage with my G.rosea...but he is very docile...i have a spatula (due to its design I can lay it flat in the cage) that i set down in the cage (i keep hold of it) then nudge him with a pencil...if he turns to the pencil, I leave him alone, if he saunders over to and on the spatula HE IS MINE..mwahahaha...yesterday...i went for the spatula try and he went away from it, up the glass...up the wall and into the corner of the bookshelf .

Now before you freak :D he is housed in a bookshelf that is no more then a foot and 1/2 tall if that...so as he was climbing the wall..i just held the spatula right under him....it was funny...he was like a plain ol spider that crunches up in the corner like "you will never unwedge me"...after about a minute of coercing he stepped down on the spatula then into my hand...and on my lap and sat on the couch with me...thought he would be brave and go to my chest towards my juggular hahaha, in a nice wandering/exploring kinda way...but I don't let em get there...my hand stops that...eventually he was even nice enough to poop on me...my first ever poop experience....its still amazing though to see his 4" legspan make a mad dash when he gets startled. Fast...i would hate to see a faster species in action :D

Neway I have never tried PICKING them up...only giving him a place to walk on...sometime when I can see a "pro" do it in real life, then I may try it...until then..the spatula works wonders!

Great looking T!

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

im not a pro, but i believe you just saw two demonstrations, one with a P.cambridgei no less, what more do you need?!?

-V

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahahaha...its like riding a bike...u can see it happen..but without some instruction, trying while an adult is watching u, u can't just do it....(i am an adult, but i think u get what i mean)

i know i am being more cautious then i need to be but I worry about my T's safety more then mine...and i would hate to squeeze a little to hard or not enough and drop him or crush him....:D

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Its definately something youd want to practice a bit... i think darrin at GPHE got nabbed this way.

-V

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It DOES take practice. I learned it with my most docile of Ts first... THEN with the faster guys! It takes time and patience, but you'll get it!!