G.Rosea and G.Aureo sling question

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
1. The G.Rosea seems to climb her enclosure a lot. It's wierd. I know they are ground dwelling species, but do slings normally climb this much? Also, I've had her 4 days now, and she has yet to show interest in eating a pinhead.

2. The G.Aureo sling eats regularly. For the past 4 days since I got her, I've fed her 2 pinheads. However, I've noticed the abdomen got rather large and she's only a .5"! I know this is from the food so should I slow down a bit on the feeding and wait for a few days?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1. The G.Rosea seems to climb her enclosure a lot. It's wierd. I know they are ground dwelling species, but do slings normally climb this much? Also, I've had her 4 days now, and she has yet to show interest in eating a pinhead.

2. The G.Aureo sling eats regularly. For the past 4 days since I got her, I've fed her 2 pinheads. However, I've noticed the abdomen got rather large and she's only a .5"! I know this is from the food so should I slow down a bit on the feeding and wait for a few days?

1 : She'll eat once she settles in. She's just checking out her new enclosure. Normal stuff really. It may take a couple of weeks.

2: Feed once a week. Remove any uneaten prey remains after 24hrs.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

how most is the rosea sling enclosure? i keep mine pretty freakin dry. she could be in premolt.

that seems like a lot of food. aureo are faster metabolism than rosea... but still on the slow side all things considered. basically, instead of thinking in terms of feeding x/week or whatever try to keep the tarantulas abdomen looking plump but not shiny and stretched out looking. i end up fattening up bugs right after they molt and then feeding them less and less frequently to prevent them from becoming obese. just like in humans, it is probably not very salubrious for a spider to be overweight. heh. after my aureo slings got fat i would feed them a tiny cricket or roach like once a month until the molted and got skinny again

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea terrestrial slings do like to "play" and climb around a little bit...mine has never staying off the ground for a long period of time though...i keep the substrait dry and mist half the enclosure once a week

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one of my g. rosea slings likes to climb to the top and hang out. it will stay up there for 4 OR 5 days at a time. then return to the bottom. dont really have a clue why. i do know if the soil is a little damp they wont stay on it usually. rosea's are strange one's. its hard to figure out if its something wrong or just them being weird.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yea terrestrial slings do like to "play" and climb around a little bit...mine has never staying off the ground for a long period of time though...i keep the substrait dry and mist half the enclosure once a week
this is exactly what i've been doing with the G.Rosea