G. pulchripes sling trouble!!

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
I have had my little .5 inch Grammostola pulchripes sling for almost 2 weeks now, he has eaten for me only once (last monday) he ate one small cricket. I tried again on wednesday, friday, and again today to offer him another one and he just wasn't having it. He didn't even seem interested, I tried to tong feed him, and he disliked that so much that he even went up into a defensive posture :rolleyes: I also moved him from the vial he was in to a small drilled out tupperware about 4" x 2" with eco earth substrate and a fake leaf for some cover on thursday. I know that some T's can go for long periods without eating, but I have been worried, that being this small he should be eating more often than an adult? it's my first T so any input would be greatly appreciated, should I move him back to the vial or will he be fine in the tupperware? I also moved his location on thursday as well. I moved him to right next to my snake tank, due to the fact that where he was placed before was getting pretty cold, around 66* F, now he has been at a solid 73 or 74*4. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!!

-Jordan K

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Everything seems fine. Since he's near a heat source, you need to make sure it doesn't get too dry. As adults they like it drier, but as slings they need it a bit more humid as they are more prone to desiccation.

They don't need to eat that often, so no worries. I have a bunch of half inch slings myself (not pulchripes, though) and they get fed every 2 weeks. Keep in mind that the "small cricket" you fed him was probably gigantic from the slings perspective, so he'll have enough to tide him over until next feeding.

So, stop movig him around, and try feeding in another week. Good luck!

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Maybe its getting ready to molt?, is the abdomen really dark black?. You should be fine.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I wouldnt worry too much about it, everything seems pretty normal. Just offer him a cricket at night about twice a week and if he doesnt eat it by the next morning, take it out and try again in a couple days. If he doesnt eat it, he just isnt hungry.
If the crickets seem like they may be a bit large for him, you can cut the abdomen off the cricket and leave that in there overnight. Slings will readily eat prekilled food. I dice up like 3-4 large crickets and its enough to feed a dozen or more slings at a time.

Jkingsley3923

Arachnopeon
I keep adding drops of water to the substrate with an eye dropper every other day, his abdomen is a little darker than usual, but not like jet black or anything. The crickets are absolutely tiny, they're 10 day old and only about as long as his abdomen, I will keep offering him twice a week then. Thank you so much for the info!!

-Jordan

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
Try watchin the size of his abdomen. Once it starts to shrink some try feeding him again.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everything seems fine. Since he's near a heat source, you need to make sure it doesn't get too dry. As adults they like it drier, but as slings they need it a bit more humid as they are more prone to desiccation.

They don't need to eat that often, so no worries. I have a bunch of half inch slings myself (not pulchripes, though) and they get fed every 2 weeks. Keep in mind that the "small cricket" you fed him was probably gigantic from the slings perspective, so he'll have enough to tide him over until next feeding.

So, stop movig him around, and try feeding in another week. Good luck!
This.

There's no need to feed it as often as you are. I feed mine once a week. Some people feed every other week. It's really only going to cost you if you feed that often. The sling(s) will be just fine.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This.

There's no need to feed it as often as you are. I feed mine once a week. Some people feed every other week. It's really only going to cost you if you feed that often. The sling(s) will be just fine.
So what about slings that are even smaller? My LP slings are like 1/3" and I am unsure how much to attempt to feed them as they are kept at about 78-80 degrees all day.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So what about slings that are even smaller? My LP slings are like 1/3" and I am unsure how much to attempt to feed them as they are kept at about 78-80 degrees all day.
Still only need to be fed weekly at most.