G. Pulchripes sling not eating yet.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
WITH SLINGS DONT FEED THEM ON LIVE FOOD AS THEY WONT BE ABLE TO CATCH IT. GO TO PET SHOP BUY BUG GRUB AND WATER GEL AND FEED THEM THAT UNTIL LARGE ENUF TO CATCH LIVE FOOD.
Slings do fine with pre-killed and live food if it is the right size. They shouldn't have any trouble catching it. There is no need to use water gel with slings as they can't drown and the crystals just get messy. You should use live or pre-killed prey and a regular water dish (or if the enclosure is too small for a water dish just keep the substrate damp/use long moss).

cold blood

Staff member
Slings do fine with pre-killed and live food if it is the right size. They shouldn't have any trouble catching it. There is no need to use water gel with slings as they can't drown and the crystals just get messy. You should use live or pre-killed prey and a regular water dish (or if the enclosure is too small for a water dish just keep the substrate damp/use long moss).
yeah water gel and ts don't mix, save that stuff for feeders, use real water with tarantulas.

kooky

Arachnosquire
yeah water gel and ts don't mix, save that stuff for feeders, use real water with tarantulas.
I feel so cheap compared to others, i dont even use the gel for my crickets, i use wet tissue in a bottle lid xd

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I feel so cheap compared to others, i dont even use the gel for my crickets, i use wet tissue in a bottle lid xd
I don't use the pet store 'gel' for my roaches. I buy water crystals from the gardening department of the hardware store and use those. You can get a bag really cheap and they work great. I buy a decent sized bag per year.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I don't use the pet store 'gel' for my roaches. I buy water crystals from the gardening department of the hardware store and use those. You can get a bag really cheap and they work great. I buy a decent sized bag per year.
Same. They are cheap and last a long time for sure.

cold blood

Staff member
My crickets get a water dish...filled with stones so they don't have drowning mishaps.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
My crickets get a water dish...filled with stones so they don't have drowning mishaps.
Crickets are dumb :dead:

I've dropped crickets into enclosures and watch them almost immediately jump into the T's water dish. Maybe drowning is preferred over the slow death in a tarantula's fangs. Fortunately I don't deal with crickets much anymore.

Alana

Arachnopeon
My crickets get cucumber as a water source, they can't drown in that. I'm planning to stop using them altogether though, I much prefer mealworms, roaches and locusts.

cold blood

Staff member
Crickets are dumb :dead:

I've dropped crickets into enclosures and watch them almost immediately jump into the T's water dish. Maybe drowning is preferred over the slow death in a tarantula's fangs. Fortunately I don't deal with crickets much anymore.
I literally never have drowning incidents. I suspect drownings are the result of crickets molting as close as possible....I do see them molting regularly on the stones in their water dish.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I literally never have drowning incidents. I suspect drownings are the result of crickets molting as close as possible....I do see them molting regularly on the stones in their water dish.
I don't keep stones in the water dishes with my tarantulas as I think they are a pain, so I do get some dead ones in water dishes, and I am confident it is from them jumping into the dish and me not noticing to pull them out for the tarantula in time.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't keep stones in the water dishes with my tarantulas as I think they are a pain, so I do get some dead ones in water dishes, and I am confident it is from them jumping into the dish and me not noticing to pull them out for the tarantula in time.
I said I put stones in the water dishes with crickets, not with tarantulas. And I was referring to the cricket enclosure.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I said I put stones in the water dishes with crickets, not with tarantulas. And I was referring to the cricket enclosure.
Yes, I get that. But then you responded to me feeding my crickets off in my T's enclosures with saying you've never had any drown. I was just pointing out crickets were dumb.

kooky

Arachnosquire
I would love to use roaches instead, crickets annoy me so much, i have one adult atm that is so noisy but he grew up with me so i feel bad killing him. All the others are still babies. But i gotta put them in the bloody cupboard at night cause im too sentimental xD

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Someone suggested misting the enclosure and that is not a good idea. If you cannot find a water dish for it, you can dribble water down the side and make a spot on the substrate a bit wet. Or, use can use a piece of sphagnum moss that has been dampened.

BGL

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg This lil guy still hasn't eaten. He's (or she) been moving the substrate around and has been bunkered down in his hide for a couple days.
I've been leaving meal worm sections down for a day and the removing them.
Is there anything I can do besides just wait?

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Looks like he's closed himself in to molt.
He'll come out when he's ready. Leaving small, pre killed food out for short periods like you've been doing seems like a good idea to me.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Just a suggestion for the water bowl, for my tiny slings i use a smoothie straw cut in half and keep a couple drops of water in it. Surface tension keeps it on the straw and it doesnt take up much room. Ive seen my slings drink from it a few times.

Attachments