G. Pulchripes barricaded hide

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0740.JPG My G Pulchripes has been in its hide since Sunday with out coming out for food or water Should I be worried?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
No.

This is normal behavior (for any t). It may be molting, it may not be, but either way just wait for it to emerge to feed....and be prepared, it could be in there for a while.

Its important to note that you have way too much vertical space in there...thats a dangerous place for a terrestrial. that tank should be 3/4 filled with substrate for a terrestrial.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
An invisible t is a happy t. It could be a molt indicator, or may not be. Are you constantly checking on it? Is there a lot of noise/vibrations in the room? Any insense or fragrances/smoke?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Molting. This is very normal. It's also very normal for new keepers to experience anxiety over this;). Just be patient and don't worry about your T. They can go for MONTHS without food.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ive had lots of nw terrestrial ts burrow/barricade themselves in for months and come out unmolted. Spiders are weird and do spider things.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My G. pulchripes was basically dormant for 8 months last year. They do whatever they feel like! :)

user 666

Arachnobaron
I have a pulchripes that I last saw when I put it in its current enclosure two months ago.

And that is just one of my pet holes.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Two things:
1) fam put some more subtrate in there that T is gonna climb up there and fall and kill himself.
2) The enclosure is too big, if it's the size I'm assuming it is, 2-2.5 inches. Mine barricaded herself in her hide for several weeks as soon as I bought her, to the point where I thought she was molting. However, turns out it was just because she was stressed. I put her in this afterward:

and since then, she's been much happier and more active.